0.7.0 Development Thread

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Quasar
Site Admin

0.7.0 Development Thread

Post by Quasar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:41 pm

http://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/201 ... -features/
Animation

We included a lot of the aesthetic work in 0.6.1, but there was one feature we didn’t get to: improving the creatures animation. The animations we have planned will be basic but functional: think more “Minecraft” than “Spore”. They’ll include behaviors for grazing, feeding and fighting, as well as improving the walk cycle.

Metric Units

We’ll be converting the game as a whole from unspecified relative units to metres, kilograms and newtons. Our plan is to use the length of an adult Primum specium as our base scale (1Ps = 1m). This puts the larger trees at around 6m tall, and makes the rover roughly the size of Spirit and Opportunity, which is a nice co-incidence.

Physical Values and Skeletal Analysis

We’ll be defining Density and Volume, which will give us Mass and Weight, which can be converted to translation forces and torques and applied via skeletal analysis. By leveraging the stuff I learned in university and the infinite power of Google, we should be able to achieve much more realistic body-plans than “Stamina = (Base * (Bicep + Tricep) * Size * 2) * Bipedal * Streamlining”

Gameplay

Fences, impassible barriers you can construct to block or isolate populations of creatures.

Climate Control: Heaters, Coolers, Humidifiers and Aridifiers you can place to adjust the temperature/fertility of the local area, rather than the whole map.

Targeted Rover Programming: instruct your rovers to feed or kill creatures based on their genetic distance to a target: either the species average, an exported creature, or a target you design yourself.

Stat Map Editor

Until now I’ve been tweaking the stats on body parts, textures, biomes and trees by editing the data.txt files manually. This is a slow and error prone way of doing things: I can’t see what I’m tweaking, I can’t compare it to other things in the mutation map, etc. To compensate, I’ll be creating a Stat Editor that shows me the physical objects alongside their stats and relationships and allows for tweaks and adjustments in real time. This will mostly be for me, but it might also come in handy for modding.

Most of these items are stepping stones on the way to something greater, most notably the gameplay additions: once those three are in place, I’ll be able to start work on a feature that will form the backbone of gameplay in the future

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: 0.7.0 Development Thread

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 am

So, first task: I'm building the Stat Map Editor.

I worked out a neat way to render 3d models in 2d space by inverting the camera matrices. This will allow me to put rotating body parts into the cards I'm using to display their stats.

These cards will then be hooked to each other with an old friend: the web physics system I wrote for the long depricated "mod maker" application, which proved a good way of visualising mutation maps.

I'm making good progress and despite some pitfalls (the body part objects weren't designed to be rendered seperately from creatures) expect to have something functional by the end of the week.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:28 am

now that 6.1 is all well and stable do you plan to make a youtube video with it like your last one or no?
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Yes, of course he will make a video never doubt the mighty all powerful quasar !

(Or else David Peter will attack you...)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.06 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

illdeletethis

Post by illdeletethis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:00 pm

the primum specium worm is a whole meter long????
that is frightening

anyways, great to get creature animation

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:38 am

More development:

• Generated a grid of Object Cards, showing rotating heads above their names and stats. In this format it’s a bit overwhelming. We have a lot of head types.
• Got the mutation map import and web physics into the viewer. Being able to reuse existing code saved a lot of time, both here and in the head rendering code.
• Did some more cleanup: encapsulated Creature Sprite Rendering and created a mouse cursor management class. I’ll try not to get trapped in cleanup work the way I did between 0.6.0 and 0.6.1, but it does pay dividends further down the track (see previous point) and there’s still a lot of it to do.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 am

AngerDomeAble wrote:now that 6.1 is all well and stable do you plan to make a youtube video with it like your last one or no?
I do intend to, yes, but it might have to wait a while. Real life is currently a little hectic and I don’t have the time to spare.

Officially, this is because of an escape of flesh-eating nano-squid. Those things can strip a cow to the skeleton in minutes. I've locked myself in the Orbital EMP Cannons’ firing room until the minions at ground control can send up new ammo for the flamethrowers. Should be fine unless they learn how to open doors. The squid, not the minions.

Unofficially, I bought my first house.

I'm happy with the decision and it was the logical thing to do at this point in my life, but it locks me into full-time work for the next decade to pay off the home loan. Much as I'd love to quit my day job and work on Species full time, I’d also like to continue eating, so that particular pipe dream probably isn't going to happen.

But that's unofficial. Officially all my minions in orbit are dead and I'm trapped in the firing room waiting for rescue.

It's not a problem though. I have a jar.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:35 am

Quasar wrote:
AngerDomeAble wrote:now that 6.1 is all well and stable do you plan to make a youtube video with it like your last one or no?
I do intend to, yes, but it might have to wait a while. Real life is currently a little hectic and I don’t have the time to spare.

Officially, this is because of an escape of flesh-eating nano-squid. Those things can strip a cow to the skeleton in minutes. I've locked myself in the Orbital EMP Cannons’ firing room until the minions at ground control can send up new ammo for the flamethrowers. Should be fine unless they learn how to open doors. The squid, not the minions.

Unofficially, I bought my first house.

I'm happy with the decision and it was the logical thing to do at this point in my life, but it locks me into full-time work for the next decade to pay off the home loan. Much as I'd love to quit my day job and work on Species full time, I’d also like to continue eating, so that particular pipe dream probably isn't going to happen.

But that's unofficial. Officially all my minions in orbit are dead and I'm trapped in the firing room waiting for rescue.

It's not a problem though. I have a jar.
good luck on that whole "nano-squid" thing besides real life comes before virtual.
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Don't worry about the house... walls can always be painted after the game is finished ;)

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:46 am

A bit of saving, a bit of loading, a few new tools (add link, delete link, and a library in the bottom right for unlinked cards), and the Mutation Map Viewer is becoming a very useful little tool.

This morning I fixed all the problems in the structure of the head map. It took maybe 10 minutes, and thanks to being able to do a graphical check I'm confident that the results are correct. I may end up doing another hotfix to 0.6.1, so as to fix the defects and make the head evolution less arbitrary.

Still to do: tabs and display formats for the other 5 Mutation Maps, a method to view only one stat per card (to make visual comparison easier) and a method to edit stats. We will edit the CRAP out of those stats.