0.8.0 Development Thread

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
Quasar
Site Admin

Re: 0.8.0 Development Thread

Post by Quasar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:59 am

Inarius wrote:Hey ? Are you still okay ? No post for nearly a month, nothing on the forum...we poor creatures begins to be worried !
Sorry for worrying you.

I'll be honest, I've been having psychological problems the last few weeks. Not depression or anything severe, just a sort of apathetic downtime. Burnout, I guess.

I made some pretty big and interesting strides I haven't mentioned in regards to the creature rationality, which I keep meaning to make a blog post on, but then I just... stopped. Maybe two weeks ago. Hit a wall, just didn't have the motivation to keep up with both Species (incl. the blog/forums) and my day job anymore. Which is weird, because I'm really interested in what I'm working on at the moment. It *should* be something I'm keen to get back to, and any other time I would be, but right now I'm just... not.

Anyway, I kept thinking I'd get back into it the next day, hense the reason I didn't say anything.

This isn't the first time I've had these apathetic periods, and I inevitably recover eventually. Admittedly this one has been worse than usual, but it's well timed: I've got two weeks off from my day job over Christmas, starting Friday. With luck, I'll be able to recover fully over that period, maybe even use the free time to get some stuff done.

(edit) I haven't been keeping up with the forums recently but I do log in occasionally, so if anything needs seeing to send me an email or pm.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:37 am

As a teaser, I'll hint that before I scarpered I maaaaay have doubled the amount of music in the game by adding a number of tracks from Brain Sugar I had on standby. Hint hint wonk wonk.

I am the best at hinting things. Seriously. So subtle.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:43 pm

If you need to chill for a bit, that's okay. We don't want you to burn out and start hating your project.

I'm fascinated to hear about what you've worked on though. I've been checking your blog almost daily.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Inarius

Post by Inarius » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:53 am

I've been checking your blog almost daily.
Yeah, me too, as well as Space Engine and Dwarf Fortress forums :)
That's my daily routine !

Terracrafty

Post by Terracrafty » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:58 am

1000 nth post in this forum!
Check out my dirt blocks, they are extra dirty.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!"
Hades, 2012
joshthehawk wrote:Smiling Cheese...

Now I've seen everything.

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Quasar wrote:As a teaser, I'll hint that before I scarpered I maaaaay have doubled the amount of music in the game by adding a number of tracks from Brain Sugar I had on standby. Hint hint wonk wonk.

I am the best at hinting things. Seriously. So subtle.
Woahhhhhhh Quasar you have 999 posts. O_O
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Quasar wrote:This isn't the first time I've had these apathetic periods, and I inevitably recover eventually.
That's good to hear, in a way. :?
Natural_20 wrote:If you need to chill for a bit, that's okay. We don't want you to burn out and start hating your project.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:05 pm

Quasar wrote:Aaaand nobody got it. The answer was...

http://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/201 ... g-control/

Sleep!
I might have guessed it as I suggested sleep patterns in the game. Buuut.. until lately, I havent been on here... so meh.
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:52 pm

Quasar wrote:So subtle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrUKF4095Q

Sorry for my dead time, been working on other stuff. Really looking forward to this update - I want to create horrible Godzilla like creatures and let them reign death upon herds of creatures!

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:58 am

It's 2015. Happy arbitrary increment of time unit, One And All.

Also happy arbitrary forum post count for me. In the immortal words of Randall Munroe: "Wow - just 24 to go until a big round-number milestone!"

I'm reaching the end of my break, and making a new years resolution to return to regular development work (as well as forum and blog maintenance), starting tomorrow.

Blog posting will also resume tomorrow, I have a post I wrote weeks ago ready to go. Prior warning: I wrote it with a different persona, attempted to re-write it with my usual persona, gave up and called it done, so it's a bit weird. Which is to say, probably less weird than my usual, because this persona isn't completely batshit and doesn't own an Orbital EMP Cannon*. Which is... exactly what makes it weird? Well, that and the third-person self-deprecation. Does it count as self-deprecation if I'm using a fictional character to do it? I'm sure there's a trope for that.

Oh nevermind, you'll see for yourself. Brace for weirdness.

*footnote: she just works there.