Jurassic Genetics (A.k.a. Jurassic Park Operations)

Know about another game or simulation that's worth sharing or discussing? The gaming industry is at it's best when it's a great big incestual slurry of crosslinks and recommendations, so tell us about it here!
MrKyurem

Jurassic Genetics (A.k.a. Jurassic Park Operations)

Post by MrKyurem » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Not very species-related, unless you have giant dinosaurs in your world, but worth the mention.

Jurassic Genetics is a recreation of Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis using Cryengine. They're getting on very nicely, and they're going to release their first tech demo on New Years Day. If you haven't played JPOG before, imagine it as Zoo Tycoon 2 but in the Jurassic Park universe. You build a park full of dinosaurs, go fossil hunting, complete missions, vaccinate diseases, and basically try to make money without many people dieing.

They're very, VERY open to suggestions, and every single suggestion is responded to by a developer. I've been following them for a while now, and I must say, they're getting on amazingly! They've got a lot of dinosaurs models' done, and two dinosaurs are ready for release - Mosasaurus, which will feature in the tech demo, and Parasaurolophus, which will join in later.

Speaking of dinosaurs, they're doing all of the Jurassic Park dinosaurs first (from the book and films only), and then will take suggestions from the public for Dino DLC.

They're no longer called Jurassic Park Operations because they were unable to obtain a license from Universal, however, they support the project, so that's amazing!

Check out the forum here, where you'll probably get some response to your ideas: http://www.jurassic-genetics.com/forum/index.php
And the Facebook page, where they post all/most of their updates: https://www.facebook.com/jurassicgenetics

AnarchCassius

Re: Jurassic Genetics (A.k.a. Jurassic Park Operations)

Post by AnarchCassius » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Sounds very related to me. I tried the FB JP game, realized it was lame and tried JPOG, realized it was limited and went to ZT2. I came across Species somewhere in there and eagerly await the day I can have giant dinosaurs in it :)

I know why they couldn't get a license. JPOG2 is coming out next year. Hopefully it will be a better succesor than the new Zoo Tycoon looks to be.

I like seeing baby T-rexes. I was disappointed you couldn't breed in JPOG. What happened to the frog DNA? Zoo Tycoon 2 with JPOG imports and mods is currently the best engine I've found for a dino park. Unfortunettely while they can breed in ZT2 it doesn't do ecosystems very well.

Mosasaurus are promising. That means they have water, again a missing area of JPOG and while not exactly a weak one in ZT2 the aquatic stuff feels a bit compartmentalized.

Any idea if they are favoring the books or movies? The dilophosaurus in the movie was too small to be anything but a baby and I liked the coloration described in the book. I don't think the baby raptors having camouflage or the baby rexes having feathers was addressed in the movies. Never saw the 3rd one, probably will before 4 comes out.

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 pm

AnarchCassius wrote:I know why they couldn't get a license. JPOG2 is coming out next year. Hopefully it will be a better succesor than the new Zoo Tycoon looks to be.
Unfortunately...

...that's a rumour that's been proven false. JPOG 2 has not been talked about at all, so if it did exist, how would they suddenly know it's next year if there's no confirmation?

That trailer with the Queztalcoatus is a old, old trailer for a cancelled game. Not JPOG2.

They're not favouring either the book or the film, they're being equal between them. I think, however, they'll do two different species for Dilophosaurus, one favouring the film and the other favouring the books.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:55 pm

The JP FB game made a post about it and put up a screenshot. I can't actually find the post now or confirm a release date. I probably made up the next year bit. I swear they posted saying development was beginning... it might have been about Jurassic Operation but the SS didn't look right and it seems unlikely since it's unofficial.

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:11 pm

AnarchCassius wrote:The JP FB game made a post about it and put up a screenshot. I can't actually find the post now or confirm a release date. I probably made up the next year bit. I swear they posted saying development was beginning... it might have been about Jurassic Operation but the SS didn't look right and it seems unlikely since it's unofficial.
Checked their everything, nothing. Every Jurassic Park website ever would be spammed with it if it was true.

Sorreh.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:39 am

ROFLMAO... it was Sci-Fi, not the game that put up the link. And it was in fact to this project :)

I was somewhat right :)

http://www.jurassicworld-movie.com/news/1311

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Perhaps someone other than myself would be interested in a dinosaur based survival game? ;) like this one

? http://www.indiedb.com/games/saurian
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:05 am

20 characters! wrote:Perhaps someone other than myself would be interested in a dinosaur based survival game? ;) like this one

? http://www.indiedb.com/games/saurian
Seriously ,no ones interested in A dinosaur survival game well I won't tell you anything about dinosaur battlegrounds then, good day.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:10 am

I'm interested but I don't always have a reply to everything or time to make it. Don't take it so personal :)

Trisdino

Post by Trisdino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Please do change the title to "prehistoric kingdom", as that is now the games official title, after the team working on it separated themselves from the previous leader.