Round 2: Marine Creatures

Spread the word, and vote for a new body part to see in Species 0.7.0 every fortnight!

What body part do you most want to see in 0.7.0?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 am

Baleen Whale
31%
Hammerhead
31%
Swordfish
8%
Deepsea Toothy
31%

Total votes: 49

Quasar
Site Admin

Re: Round 2

Post by Quasar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:46 pm

AnarchCassius wrote:
I've got to ask though, why the page hit goal? What happens if we don't reach it? Do we just not get any new heads? Isn't that something you admitted was lacking, something that could draw more players in? Why hinge something that is necessary to build a playerbase on the participation of the playerbase you have now?
I interpreted this more as, if you guys can get the hits up I'll let you pick head priorities. Surely they'll be new parts as the game progresses but this is chance for the community to have more control. I assume if the goal fails Quasar and/or the artist pick whatever part they wanted to do.
This is pretty much correct. We were hoping to get people more interested in sharing the game through facebook and twitter, and give the community a chance to influence the direction the game takes. We still intend to put in extra heads and remake the ones we currently have, but the winners here take priority.
And, without intending any disrespect to your artist, may I ask why creating one model is so difficult as to be considered such a high prize?
That I have to say... heads do some really minor. Like the game looks moddable enough that I could make my own.
These aren't just single models: they're more like 'targets'. Most of them are two or three steps removed from anything currently in the mutation map: we can't just have primum specium going straight to baleen whale. There needs to be intermediate stages.

This is the main difference between the head types in this competition and the one's we would generally add. We have to forge forward to reach these targets, rather than growing the map organically, step-by-step. This means they'll have clearer functions and more recognisable shapes than the ones we currently have. This will also likely affect the shape of the map, with 'organically grown' variants and intermediates making up a sizable number of similar models.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:59 pm

... the game looks moddable enough that I could make my own. Only reason I haven't yet the is stupid .xnb files and trying to figure out what version of what program I need to view this version of them. I hate Microsoft and their stupid XNA development environment. The thing was meant for X-Box and should have stayed there instead of bringing their unique non-backwards compatible binary data format on to poor defenseless PCs.
Yeah XNA makes modding a massive pain in the arse. I've spent ages trying to get modding tools working, with no real luck.

The xnb files aren't without their merits, though: they're rediculously quick to load. Every model and texture in the game is loaded into ram before the game even displays the Main Menu, which is cool. Unfortunately this is only achievable because they're precompiled for the game, which means you can't view them in anything else.

If you want to mod the game though, PM me and I'll happily send you the assets and instructions on how to compile xnb files. Be warned you'll need XNA 3.1, which in turn requires Visual Studio 2008 Express.

Based on what little I know, MonoGame (an open-source implementation of XNA) rectifies this error in addition to working on Linux and Mac. It's not as easy as just porting to MonoGame though: it's an implementation of XNA 4.0, and I'm using XNA 3.1. So I need to get a later version of Visual Studio, (which I'm unwilling to do unless it's the paid-for Professional version, because I use too many of the Professional tools) then upgrade to XNA4.0, then port to MonoGame.

It's a big job, and I don't even know if it'll work, which is why I'm putting it off in favor of development at the moment.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:11 am

Nice. Knowing these are full branches that will necessarily affect the shape of others makes it seem more significant than a single part. It also may mean things like filter feeding that open options for other lines. Sounds good :)

I was a bit skeptical of pre-canned head shapes as too top-down but the finely grained transitions and paths do work nicely. For example once full beaks develop they can specialize into radically different but efficient forms quickly. Beaks are good for quickly transitioning and specializing in food sources, which matches real life. Doing this bottom up would require more complexity since the jaw itself would need to be a separated component system with lips, teeths, tongues, etc.

Actually maybe that wouldn't be so hard. Not a full sub system like limbs, but heads seem to have points for sensor pieces. It'd be neat to add mouthpart attachments, so a basic mouth's teeth could change or the tongue could evolve separately. Also round the "ears" out to protrusion nubs with sensor points on them and add audio sensor components. Further down the line of course but it seems weld-able to the current setup.

cygx

Post by cygx » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:37 pm

voted swordfish to be a rebel

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 am

At the halfway point we had 2511 visitors. Cutting it close, but that's what makes it fun! :D

cygx wrote:voted swordfish to be a rebel
KILL THE HERETIC!

sylverone

Post by sylverone » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Haha, I brought it back up to a tie completely by accident. It's meant to be?

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:06 pm

What have you done, Sylverone ?!? You've doomed us all !!! :lol:
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Quick! Random person viewing this: vote for the whale head! The fate of life or death (of the whale head) all depends on you!

Obscerno

Post by Obscerno » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Sylverone said it, it was meant to be. You could say it was his porpoise in life.

Now that I've addressed the blog post's comment on puns, let's call it quits before things get too far out of hand...

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Quit now ? But Quasar seemed to imply that was the whale point of the thread !!
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.