Round 2: Marine Creatures

Spread the word, and vote for a new body part to see in Species 0.7.0 every fortnight!

What body part do you most want to see in 0.7.0?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 am

Baleen Whale
31%
Hammerhead
31%
Swordfish
8%
Deepsea Toothy
31%

Total votes: 49

MrKyurem

Re: Round 2

Post by MrKyurem » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:17 am

*insert epic music to make the whale situation greater*

sylverone

Post by sylverone » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:49 am

Honestly have no strong preference between those three, although I'm warming to the baleen. I don't really go for the swordfish because all it is is just pointy, but on the other hand since it would open up the possibilities of a number of fish-heads I wouldn't mind that either.

I have a question, though. When I first read about this...
[quote=Quasar]My answer to that is that we still intend to grow the mutation map organically: these targets provide a direction, but we will drive towards that target by mutating existing head types, rather than modelling them from scratch. Then we'll go back and add variants and offshoots and so on.[/quote]
...I took it (perhaps falsely) to mean that the "head-space" was going to be continuous, so that species could gradually warp from one head type to another through a whole tree or network of possibilities, with plenty of odd, interpolated or extrapolated heads in between and "off the edges" (and of course this could apply to other parts such as horns or limbs). But now I gather that what it really means is that a wide variety of heads will be created with rules for transitioning between them (ie raptor head can't jump to baleen whale head, but can jump to slightly-beaked-dino head, or whatever). This sounds easier to accomplish, although my imagination was really going with the other idea. :)

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Using a technique called "tweening" it could be done. But it would be a bigger strain, plus the best or most common bridge between two forms is rarely gonna be the simple geometric average. Even when it is the mechanics won't always change at the same rate. Without a protein up system of body structure building a model based on real world designs is probably pretty good. And the protein system would lag with one animal even if we really have enough knowledge to make it possible.

I do think it will resemeble a network, like a web, but there will probably be a few peninsulas and gaps in the web.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Congratulation, you finally managed to avoid the Toothy Hammerhead Baleen. Was it worth it ? :twisted:

H̴͘͏̳͕͉̪̪̣͎̠̱̙̮̯͎́E̛̱̬͇̲̖͘ ̟̯͔̦̀C̷̹͔̜͓͍̦͍͍͇͉̲͇̟̫̟͚̯̦͟͜͠O͚̜͇̮̩̤̮͈̮̣̝̪̕̕͢ͅḾ̢̘͍͈̪̟͓͎̺̰̳̯E͏̴͍͎̞̬̺̥̝̥̩͓̼̝̖̀͢Ş̪̖̘͕͙͚͈̗̭̱̕
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:17 pm

What if you merge all three of them?
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:39 pm

AngerDomeAble wrote:What if you merge all three of them?
See post above yours.

Neovenator

Post by Neovenator » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:56 pm

MrKyurem wrote:
AngerDomeAble wrote:What if you merge all three of them?
See post above yours.
Isn't much hammerheadery.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:15 pm

You're never happy, are you ? :roll:

Here, take your Lord of Extinction.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.

Neovenator

Post by Neovenator » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:18 pm

White parrot wrote:You're never happy, are you ? :roll:

Here, take your Lord of Extinction.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:26 pm

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-
I made a huge mistake, didn't I ? :shock: