Round 3: Insects

Spread the word, and vote for a new body part to see in Species 0.7.0 every fortnight!

What body part do you most want to see in 0.7.0?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 am

Butterfly Probiscus
26%
Ladybug Antannae
No votes
Caterpiller face
23%
Praying Mantis Mandibles
52%

Total votes: 31

Quasar
Site Admin

Round 3: Insects

Post by Quasar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:42 am

Body Parts: Insectoid Head Types.
Start date: 30th September 2013
End date: 13th October 2013

Target: 5000 Unique Visitors.
Progress: Image

Options:

Butterfly Probiscus
Ladybug Head
Caterpiller Face
Praying Mantis Head

(Can't vote? Register! All you'll need is an email address)
(Don't know what's going on? Explanation here: http://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/201 ... mpetition/)
(FYI, ties are no longer going to be merged. We'll do a tiebreaker instead, so don't vote on that basis)

Obscerno

Re: Round 3

Post by Obscerno » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:56 am

This one was hard. I was getting really excited about that caterpillar face, but I decided to go with the butterfly probiscus, because it means we'll need...
<3 ƒℓ❀ωєʀѕ <3

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:59 am

Hard hard choice.

The butterfly, another hint at new food sources and quite cute.

The Ladybug a classic insect and also cute.

Catterpillar. One word: Ur-Quan.

Preying Mantis, sleek styling, effcient, one of my favorite animals.

It's gonna be the Mantis, I think.

sylverone

Post by sylverone » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:45 am

The caterpillar face is in the list up there like it's so simple, like we all know what a caterpillar face looks like... and I think we can all agree it looks like this, right?:

Oh wait, my bad, that's just coloring... it's actually this that we're all thinking of, right?:

Or maybe this?:

But those are so menacing, they might be mistaken for carnivore heads... I mean, whenever I think of a caterpillar peacefully fattening up on leaves, it goes without saying that this is always the first image that comes to mind:

But that's just me. I'm sure most other people immediately think of this:

Of course there are also niche audiences who might imagine differently:
*Who's That Pokemon!*

And let's not get started on the mantids...
"Wait, did someone mention my brethren just now?"

[
Image Sources:
http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/fe ... arth/11812
http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/2013 ... his-3.html
http://designtaxi.com/news/360650/In-Ja ... aped-Face/
http://www.theprayingmantis.org/Mantis-Eyes.php
]

All in good fun! :) (and... my bad, I didn't notice that Quasar gave reference images until already making this post. I'm leaving it, though, unless the number of images is deemed too much)

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Tough choice
I like them all... but went for caterpillar because it is absolutely hideous
and I have no followers at this moment :oops:

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm going caterpillar, its alien look matches rather well the strangeness of the usual residents of the game. :P
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:26 pm

I like Quasars look. But the idea of catterpillar heads make me think of Star Control.
We are the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za. We Follow the Path of Now and Forever. Only subservience will be tolerated.
Edit, yes, that's a carnivore. Shouldn't be too hard to have one offshoot go carnivorous if catterpillar wins.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 pm

I wonder what happens if they combine yet again. Also might want to add this to your blog seems it is not up there.
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:01 am

sylverone wrote:The caterpillar face is in the list up there like it's so simple, like we all know what a caterpillar face looks like... and I think we can all agree it looks like this, right?:
[snip]
Oh wait, my bad, that's just coloring... it's actually this that we're all thinking of, right?:
[snip]
Or maybe this?:
[snip]
But those are so menacing, they might be mistaken for carnivore heads... I mean, whenever I think of a caterpillar peacefully fattening up on leaves, it goes without saying that this is always the first image that comes to mind:
[snip]
Squeeeeeeee they're beautiful! Wonderful! Hideous! Could you cross-post them to the BPVCT Suggestion Thread?
Obscerno wrote:This one was hard. I was getting really excited about that caterpillar face, but I decided to go with the butterfly probiscus, because it means we'll need...
<3 ƒℓ❀ωєʀѕ <3
Just FYI, the head types don't have too much influence on future dietary features, which will be implemented when they're implemented. For 0.7.0 they'll just be crammed into the herbi/carnivore spectrum.

Yes, the head types will eventually come with additional stats/abilities for things like flowerfeeding, burrowing, snatching, grasping, leeching, planktonfeeding, photosynthesis, (thefeaturecreepit'sEEENNDLESS), in addition to a metabolic system for protein, lipids and carbohydrates (fibre can aid digestion, but is indigestable itself).

It's all coming, and the head types will have the appropriate stats when it does, but that's in the long-term basket. Fixing the AI and physics screwups have a higher priority.
I wonder what happens if they combine yet again. Also might want to add this to your blog seems it is not up there.
Actually, I've decided against merging them for a variety of reasons: not all heads can be elegantly combined, it makes functionality harder to guess, and in some cases it changes this from a competition to a vote-rigging task... etc. Sorry guys, in the future ties will be broken with a tiebreaker of some description, so don't vote on that basis.

Also thanks for the note, I've added it to the blog. Keep forgetting to do that.

Incadicey

Post by Incadicey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:33 pm

I choose butterfly because it would make flowers and wings more nessesary! :D