Round 4: Community Suggestions

Spread the word, and vote for a new body part to see in Species 0.7.0 every fortnight!

What body part do you most want to see in 0.7.0?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 am

Helicoprion Head
12%
Dryas iulia Head
15%
Anomalocaris Head
39%
Cassowary Head
No votes
Therizinosaurus Hand
15%
Velociraptor Foot
9%
Klipspringer Foot
9%

Total votes: 33

Quasar
Site Admin

Round 4: Community Suggestions

Post by Quasar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:30 am

Type: Suggested Body Parts
Start date: 14th October2013
End date: 27th October 2013

Target: 5000 Unique Visitors.
Progress: Image

Options:

Helicoprion Head Reference
Dryas iulia Head Reference
Anomalocaris Head (Reference 1, Reference 2)
Cassowary Head (Reference)
Therizinosaurus Hand (Reference
Velociraptor Foot (Reference, as if you need one)
Klipspringer Foot (Reference)

AngerDomeAble

Re: Round 4

Post by AngerDomeAble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:04 am

dam the Anomalocaris Head looks bad ass.
Attachments
aa species.jpg
aa species.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 6387 times
Last edited by AngerDomeAble on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 pm

It's really hard to chose ! :o There's too many good options !!

I'm reserving my vote for when I know ... ^^"
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37 pm

My choice is in the lead ...

Neovenator

Post by Neovenator » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:30 pm

The whorl-tooth shark will result in the most abominations. It's a set of jaws where even the non-bitey-bit has teeth!

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 pm

For now I stay on Anomalocaris, but that was very hard. :x

I like Helicoprion and the klipspringer for the way they kinda look like more well-known animals, but are actually subtly alien when you look closer ; meanwhile Anomalocaris boldly go into the speculative evolution : what would terrestrial animals evolved from him would look like ?
Dryas iulia is more simple, an elegant addition to add a bit of personality to the voluntarily bland face of P. specium.

As you know, one chosen part will actually give in-game a whole "evolutionary cloud" made of all the intermediate stages separating it from P. specium and a few variants around the same general morphology, allowing a bit of flexibility inside a general "style".
Thinking about it, I see very well the Anomalocaris head being co-opted by herbivores that would use its appendages to comb leaves or to exhume tubers.
Perhaps more surprisingly, I see a faint connexion between the anatomy of the Helicorpion jaw and the molluscan radula ; and between the collar of Dryas iulia and that of ceratopsidae (yeh, I know this last is a bit far-fetched. Also, the mouth itself is very different).
These kinds of links may be useful to have an elaborate web of evolutionary futures ... :shock:
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

AnarchCassius

Post by AnarchCassius » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:13 pm

So many choices. We need round 5 to be like the best runners up from the last rounds :) I think competition has been uneven.

Anomalocaris is my vote. For a good sim we need to model off what we know could happen to some degree. Anomalocaris is a very early creature so it's placement should make the transition to complex heads a bit slower. Of course Dinocaridida didn't last on Earth but Opibania and Kerygmachela would be in it's mouth mutation cluster and we can maybe extrapolate advancements from there.

I imagine Anomalocaris types are good at meat-eating and eventually filter feeding. Probably low attack value relative to later heads but cheap.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:30 pm

[quote="AnarchCassius"]So many choices. We need round 5 to be like the best runners up from the last rounds :) I think competition has been uneven.

I also like this idea maybe every 4 rounds the fifth could be the best 4 runner ups?
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 am

How many rounds are there going to be?

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 am

Tiberius wrote:How many rounds are there going to be?
All the rounds. All of them!

Seriously though, no limit. We'll keep this competition going till 0.7.0 is out, and probably past that.
AngerDomeAble wrote:
AnarchCassius wrote:So many choices. We need round 5 to be like the best runners up from the last rounds :) I think competition has been uneven.
I also like this idea maybe every 4 rounds the fifth could be the best 4 runner ups?
I like the idea too. Gives us a nice 5 round cycle: 3 normal rounds, the 4th a suggestions round, and the 5th a chance for the runners-up to compete.

Approved! :D