How to model bodyparts

Spread the word, and vote for a new body part to see in Species 0.7.0 every fortnight!
Alpha

Re: How to model bodyparts

Post by Alpha » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Quasar wrote:Hey Alpha,

(Sorry no links, don't have time)

Modelling software:

3ds Max is the best option for modelling I know of, and the only one I'm familiar with, but also expensive unless you can get it through student licences or other means.
Blender is free, and probably the best free option from everything I've heard.
Maya I think is free, but I may be wrong.

All 3 programs have a ton of online tutorials in a variety of formats: getting up and running with them isn't too hard once you grasp the basics.

To mod them into the game, export the models to *.FBX format, or *.X format (both work).
You'll then need to convert them to *.xnb format with the full version of XNA Game Studio. This needs Visual Studio installed.
From there, they're pretty easy to import: just copy them into the game files. The game autodetects new part folders and imports them.

I'll step you through the process if you need help.
Ok, so I have installed Visual Studio Community 2013 and Blender.
For some reason the XNA Game Studio 3.1 will not install, it is saying I must have Visual Studio 2008 or Visual Studio Express.
Apparently though the community version has all of the features of the express edition, and more! It even says so on the website!
Do I have to install a whole new program or is there a way to work around this?
My Major Competitions:
Droetis
Charbiss
Petrixic