Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
BakedToast

Re: Burghers of Frye

Post by BakedToast » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm

As we approach the holidays, my work is becoming more and more hectic. I don't have as much free time as I had before.
I'm NOT cancelling this game.
It is going to go on a hiatus, as I plan to invest my writing into Itzan, and perhaps some of the other low-key forum games. I'll repost in here when the game is ready to play again!
Once again, this is NOT me killing the game. It's a temporary hold due to time constraints that I have to write.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:17 am

BakedToast wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm
As we approach the holidays, my work is becoming more and more hectic. I don't have as much free time as I had before.
I'm NOT cancelling this game.
It is going to go on a hiatus, as I plan to invest my writing into Itzan, and perhaps some of the other low-key forum games. I'll repost in here when the game is ready to play again!
Once again, this is NOT me killing the game. It's a temporary hold due to time constraints that I have to write.
Are you still working on this.

Is there anything I can do to help.
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:42 pm

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:17 am
Are you still working on this.
Is there anything I can do to help.
I guess I'd want to hear as well if the players are still interested in continuing, after such a long time?
I haven't made much progress due to CandleGlow taking up the bulk of my writing time, but since the players of this game are basically the same as the players of CandleGlow, I'd like to hear from them if they'd want this game to continue.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Burger Cat

Post by Burger Cat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm fine with this game continuing.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 pm

I would
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Same Here

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 am

Looks like there’s enough interest to boot this back up! I’ll get around to it soon.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 am

(Just for public notice. Originally in a private message.)

Even though it has been a long time, I still would be interested in continuing. However, if your writing time was limited to one game, I would want to continue CandleGlow; I find it intriguing.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:19 pm

And so the sixth month has passed, with the citizens of Frye being quite active in their industries of the year, as the climate begins to warm up. Many things have transpired in the fifth month, and they are documented below...

The Elders have discussed the Current issues, and their results are recorded here.
1. Ferran Stonework to build a wall for Frye, paid by the Elders, yes or no?
Elamon: No, Ferran cannot be trusted, due to the way they treat Frye's economy as per the mines.
Javen: No, as there is no immediate threat, and the funds can be used elsewhere.
Fenris: Yes, the Elders should hire Ferran Stonework to build the wall.
Bouhe: Yes. Lew offers to send some funds for the wall.
Jookun: We should indeed provide support for the defense of Frye!
Sefiam: We have the ability to spend the funds on it now, so we should do such a thing.
Northe: A wall for the village is a good idea.
Final Vote: The discussion doesn't last a long time among the Elders. Most are in support, and 50% of the dissenters can give no reason other than raw spite against Ferran to provide rebuttal for the wall construction.

Cisse, our Bailiff, has read the letters of the powerful families and has responded accordingly.
Lew: No letter was written.

Tannell: Salutations Cisse,
Please alert the baron to our decision to stop production of chained weapons, they have injured many commoners and scientists. However, it isn't completely our fault for our failure, our investigators have found evidence of sabotage. The medicants have also resorted to unscrupulous methods to avoid our laws. They have people purchase land and items, then "gift" them to the medicants without us being able to keep track of them. They need a criminal investigation! However, we are too short on funds to do it ourselves.
Please assist us,
Joven

Ferran: Our good Bailiff, we must warn you of the cavalier and impudent actions of an organized group in Frye, led by the Priests of the Udebbha'ian church in Frye. They have attacked several sites in the village and destroyed several precious artifacts, a priceless fossil amongst them. Action must be taken.

Asura: Our good Bailiff, the Asura family humbly requests your presence at the celebration of the birth of the child of Lenora, wife of Xijin, our Family's honorable head. Your grace in attending this illustrious event would be most appreciated.

Elforche:
(No Letter was Written)

Cisse has responded to the letters by travelling to Frye immediately, informing Count Aschet that there are urgent issues in Frye that he must attend to. First, Cisse attends Lenora's childbirth celebration, after which he plans to investigate Northe's Medicants with a detachment of armed county guards. As for Ferran's letter, Cisse plans to visit the leaders of the Ferran House to get more information before making any rash moves on an established religious establishment that has a lot of support from the commoners.

The powerful families have done much this past month:
Lew: -Medical Meddling- 49
Predominantly Medicants are employed at the hospital, with non-medicants undergoing a thorough screening procedure before being hired to work in the hospital. Most of Lew's applicants are declined as they are known to be members of the Lew family, but one Lew family member by the name of Leife, a very well-versed herbalist manages to hide his identity as a member of Lew and begins to work as a low-ranking doctor in the hospital. He is not paid much, but his position could be used as valuable intelligence for Lew.

Lew: -Dabalian Dabblings- 64
The clergy of the Dabalian temple are more than happy to fill the Lew family members in on their historical records, and are intrigued by their interest in the obscure records about the Beast Wars, of which there are precious few mentions in the Dabalian tales and mythology. Some obscure references to abominable short cat/bird people and how the more violent humans of the world worked together to eradicate them are scattered throughout their verbal lore.

Lew: -Northe's Naggings- 52
Sending a high-profile emissary to Northe and his Medicants may not have been the best idea, and Lew discovers that Northe has no liking for the Lew family, or for Ferran. Then the Medicants form a threatening semi-circle around the Lew emissary, clearly indicating that they aren't welcome in the Medicant Hospital. Lew's emissary retreats, bringing their intelligence back to the family's leadership.

Lew: -Village Varmints- 22
Unfortunately, Lew's expedition appears to be wasted time, as no evidence of underground mine-shafts leads to any of these villages.

Lew: -Impeding Investigations- 58
Several of Lew's members have been seen starting altercations with Medicants in various areas of Frye near the Elforche mines. Some of the Shuidri remained undetected this way, as Lew managed to divert many of the Medicant investigators from the homes where the Shuidri were thought to reside; however, a few villagers whose houses Lew was trying to block were yet investigated by the Medicants who found evidences of the dark god's weakened tendrils in their minds. Some were cured by the boiling water treatment, some weren't. But Some mild suspicion has turned towards Lew as being somehow involved in the actions of the dark god, which hasn't helped their reputation in the areas near the Elforche Mines.

Ferran: -Magical Musings- 56
The magic users, while more than willing to show off their talents to the Ferran Family, were reluctant to share their knowledge with each other. After getting permission from Ferran to be alone together, and taking an oath of secrecy to each other, the Wanderer was able to teach the Bard and the Seer his magicks, and the Bard was able to teach the Seer his magicks, neither the Bard nor the Wanderer seemed to learn anything from the Seer. The Wanderer was able to teach Arson Man his magicks after Arson Man agreed to an oath of secrecy, however Arson man was incapable of Learning the magicks of the Bard and the Seer. The Ferran family member could not learn any magicks from the three mages; but this was predominantly due to their unwillingness to share their magickal abilities with someone connected to such an establishment, not due to the Ferran member's inability to learn.

Ferran: -Museum Assault- 4
Early in the month, shortly before daybreak, three men rushed up to the Elforche Museum, wielding Torches and daggers. The Elforche Guards were on alert, and one of the men collapsed to the ground a good way from the Museum, and arrow protruding from his back. The other two men managed to enter close quarters combat with the guards, but were quickly outnumbered and subdued. The arrow-shot man manged to drag himself off into the shadows. Upon day-break, the Elforche guards tied two beaten and wounded men to two stakes in front of the Museum. One of them was a lowlife brigand that many knew as "One-Eyed Jack", a common thug who had stolen from many a commoner. The other was a man that very few recognized, with fiery-red hair, who appeared to still be recovering from some broken bones and other heavy wounds. Elforche then incited a riot, which caused the awakening commoners to beat One-Eyed Jack to death, while they took the other man into custody after he received a mild beating. One Eyed Jack, before his death, accused Ferran of hiring him for this assault. This enraged Elforche, and they determined to get the truth out of their other captive.

Ferran: -Widespread Arson- 59
Although ArsonMan was... unavailable, the organized efforts of some of Ferran's more covert members who were trained by ArsonMan managed to cause several large house fires in houses of Northe through the town, including a fire in the Medicant hospital. The Medicant hospital fire was managed to be put out, but not after significant damage to the building that will take time to repair. Northe had been sleeping in an upper room in the Hospital, and managed to escape, suffering some minor burns and scarring. Northe was enraged, and vowed to the people of the village that he and the Medicants would find the culprits behind this pointless destruction of property and goodwill in Frye.

Ferran: -Magical Morals- 27
Ferran investigators manage to uncover that all three of the magicians have a distaste in general for figures of power, and they are not averse to revealing that while they will accept money from Ferran in return for displays of their magicks, they are not interested in aligning themselves without question to Ferran. Other than that, Ferran has been unable to determine their true moral compunctions.

Ferran: -Mine Disruptions- 63
Members of the Ferran family manage to make contact with the surviving brigand, whose arrow-wound happened to be a lucky miss of any vital organs. After making a very speedy recovery, he managed to cause quite a ruckus with one of the shipments from the mine. The first shipment, a cart laden with iron, being pulled by a couple miners and guarded by a single guard, was stopped in it's tracks after, according to eyewitnesses, a "wounded madman" jumped down from a house rooftop onto the guard, stabbing him to death with a broken arrow while yelling about "Revenge, filthy archer!". The miners fled, leaving the iron ore in the streets, where it was pillaged by disorganized street thugs. The wounded madman retreated into an alley and was not seen again.

Tannell: -Buy My Book- 97
Tannell's collaborative book takes the county by storm, as scientists and eccentric enthusiasts purchase copy after copy. It takes time for Tannell's writers to copy the book over and over, but each copy is greedily purchased by mystics, aristocrats, and entrepreneurs who come from the neighboring villages to buy copies of this manifesto.

Tannell: -Eccentric Excavations- 57
Excavating the underground structure seems to go slower than expected, as the structure appears to be much larger than originally anticipated. The diggers managed to uncover what seems to be a small room-sized structure that is actually part of a much larger structure buried even deeper underneath the hill of rocks and dirt. Something is off about the structure, though; it has a central door, but the door seems much to small for a man to enter; with a lot of effort, the expeditionists managed to squeeze through the doorway by going on all fours and contorting their torsos to fit through, clearing some of the rubble within. The interior itself was not filled with dirt, and thus was easy to excavate. Aside from a central almost-cubic stone piece of furniture, which was attached to the rest of the structure, the room held nothing else of significance. The expeditionists returned and told Tannell what they found. What they do with this knowledge is up to them.

Tannell: -Murder Investigation- 3
Unfortunately, Tannell has been unable to uncover any more information. Count Aschet is not impressed, and informs the Tannell family via a letter that they have one month month to come up with an answer; if they don't, they aren't getting any more money for resolving the event. Count Aschet has more pressing concerns than the death of his late father.

Asura: -Frontier Medicine- 100
Airi was extremely successful with her forays into the other villages. The herbalist in Traye, the doctor in Shaake, and the skaal in Donu gave Airi a lot of medical knowledge. The herbalist taught Airi how to stay warm even in the coldest months of winter by crushing the seeds of an exotic red fruit known as the "Flame Jalapeno", as well as giving Airi several of his Flame Jalapeno seeds; the doctor in Shaake taught Airi how to recover quickly from a snake bite by sucking the blood from the wound immediately; the skaal, while not medically knowledgeable, taught Airi several great songs to soothe the minds of the anxious. Airi returned to the Asura family with this knowledge, what they do with it is up to them.

Asura: -Town Crier- 70
Xijin's speech in the town center garners a lot of attention, and the commoners approve of Xijin's message. Xijin persuades the crowd that while the Medicants may do good, they are still subject to the laws just like anyone else, and just like the families are. The Medicants take this information to Northe.

Asura: -My Lawn- 7
The Dabalian priest is a senile old goat, who holds onto the title deeds to the land with white-knuckles, refusing to sell it even for the highest price. He claims it is a family heirloom (although there is nothing in the land but forest), and that he will never sell it to such high-minded snobs like the families. Even the fine gems and jewelry from the Black Beast's cave don't seem to sway him, although they do catch the eye of a younger Dabalian priestess, who was seen whispering in the ear of a sketchy-looking thug as the Asurans leave the temple. Later, the Asuran emissary group is ambushed by a gaggle of armed thugs in broad daylight on their way back to the Asuran mansion, overpowered, and the thugs make off with most of the gems, disappearing into the alleys of Frye.

Asura: -Estralia Acceptation- 51
Estralia is willing to join the Asuran family, but many members of Asura are becoming resentful of Xijin and his wanton additions of outsiders to the family.

Asura: -Farming Forays- 76 (Supported by Lew)
Commoners and Lew members unite with Asurans to cultivate the farm, which turns out to be a success. In several weeks of diligent care, small sprouts are seen poking up through the dirt. This may be a good season after all.

Asura: -Armanus Arrangement- 45
The underground section of Armanus' personal dwellings finished, the 3 high ranking members of Asura join talented students from the school and a few other commoners in the event in the underground complex. It is strikingly large, larger than the house above it. Ornate carvings on wooden and stone wall sections surround the outside of the room, with a central obsidian pillar in the center of one end of the rectangular room, while lush red carpets cover the floor in rows. Everyone's conversations die down as Armanus ascends to the obsidian pillar, and raises his hands in greeting. He speaks a few vague words about unity and truth, and then invites everyone to enjoy the banquet prepared in the room on a large table on the right side of the room. Armanus greets the Asura members in a friendly manner, and begins to speak about an entity called Chayrus, a god who is in all and all in him, and how all shall be one in Chayrus. He speaks of the good that Chayrus can offer his followers, and that they should ask the students here who are also followers of Chayrus. The members of Asura attempt to discover any information that may be hidden by Armanus, but cannot seem to find any, except that several armed men appear at the only entrance, and will only allow those who accept Chayrus to leave; those who do not accept Chayrus must remain in the room. The Asuran members fake acceptance of Chayrus in order to get out, and quickly return home to inform Xijin of the events.

Asura: -Lumbering Profits- 54
While logging isn't one of Asura's strong points, they manage to make a fair revenue by selling wood to those who are needing it. The main buyer is a man in charge of "The Terrific Table", a new company that makes wooden furniture.

[Event] Lenora's Child: 38 (Northe Negotiation: 30)
Lenora's time has come, and she gives birth to a baby girl; the girl is sickly, and all extend their wishes to the Asura family that she will gain health and grow up to be a beautiful woman. As the father, Xijin receives the honor of naming the child, which he will pronounce sometime next month. Cisse attends the ceremony as well, and is well received by the Asurans and the other attendees who can see that he does indeed care for his people; he presents Lenora and Xijin with a valuable gift for the child; a necklace inset with a large red ruby, with his wishes that one day she may wear it with pride. The other families have neglected to extend wishes or make a major appearance at the festival; Asura may interpret this however they see fit, but it is extremely unusual and counter the the customs of Frye. Northe also appears at the festival and extends his best wishes. During the celebration, Northe makes it clear that while he wouldn't mind support from the Asura funded guards, he is not willing to pay for them or their wages, as he has many supporters already among the Medicants. Near the end of the celebration, a confrontation between Cisse and Northe causes some tension when Cisse asks some pointed questions about Northe's operations.

[Event] Elforche Mine Trial:
At the end of the Month, the Elders sit down with representatives from each family as well as Cisse, who is given an honorary position to observe the trial.
The trial opens with a statement about what is being investigated; in this case, it is the Elforche Mines, of which there have been accusations on multiple levels which will be put forward, after which Elforche will be able to reply to each individual accusation before the next is presented. Each family will be presenting a report of their individual investigation of the mines as well, if they wish to do so.
-Firstly, Lew presents information about the Organized Escape system that Elforche has been trying to hide from the public eye and how people have been going missing for some time now, never to return. Due to this, Lew suggests that Elforche should be made to relinquish control of the mine to the Village Elders, for which they will be compensated, or make the mine a publicly available area, such that people may keep their resources they discover and merely pay a usage fee for accessing the mine, such that everything going on will be known.
-Elforche retorts that they are not responsible for accidents that happen in the mines, as the workers willingly work in the mines for their pay, and that they have no knowledge of such an Organized Escape system, and if such a thing is occurring, it is happening without the approval of Elforche, and shall be stopped.

-Secondly, Ferran presents the original fossil, which was recovered from the Elforche mines, showing that Elforche has been keeping information from the public eye. Ferran alludes that there could potentially be unusual creatures or monsters in the mines causing the disappearances as well, and that Elforche should not be solely in control over such a threat.
-Elforche cannot deny that the fossil came from their mines, however they instead refute with a counter-attack that one of the armed thugs that attacked their museum several weeks ago admitted to having been hired by Ferran to raid the Museum! They challenge the integrity of Ferran's motives in the investigation.
-Cisse then interjects, questioning why Ferran told him in his letter that Udebbha'ian rioters had destroyed the original fossil, when it was sitting right here for all to see?

Tannell and Asura do not bring forth anything to the trial.

The trial concludes with a vote from the village Elders. The end result is that although Lew's report isn't conclusive, and Ferran's accusation is shaky at best, people can't keep going missing. Elforche is to sell the mines to the Village Elders, who will take charge of the operations of the mines. Elforche is furious, but with Cisse present to enforce the ruling of the Elders, cannot do anything. What shall be done with the council-owned mine will be decided in the coming month.
New Issues:
1. Should the Elders continue to manage the mines themselves, or sell them to another private owner who will be fully accountable to the Elders, or should they make the mine a public endeavor?

Notable Events:
1. The hospital, which was used for the health and well-being of many in the village, has been heavily damaged by a fire. Northe and the Medicants are hiring workers to rebuild the hospital.

2. Frye is recovering from a devastating series of fires throughout the village, some of which may be intentional. Many people were displaced by the fires, and have been forced to either lodge with nearby neighbors and family, or to rent rooms at the various inns in Frye.

3. Lenora, of the Asura family, has had a daughter. Xijin, head of the family, may name his daughter. Although the families did not attend the Festival of New Life, they may still send their regards and a gift to Asura if they wish to do so.

4. Cisse, our Bailiff, and a detachment of armed county soldiers are currently present in Frye, conducting an investigation into the actions of the Church of Northe and the Medicants, resulting from complaints sent to him in letters from the families. Currently, Northe and his Medicants have been cooperative, since they are focused on rebuilding the hospital. Cisse is skeptical of their religion involving the dark god.
And finally, like an old friend who has returned after a long journey, the seventh month has come to Frye. The warm summer's heat, the light of the sun, and the breezes of the morning all bid welcome to another month of events...
Last edited by BakedToast on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:43 pm

New Issues:
1. Should the Elders continue to manage the mines themselves, or sell them to another private owner who will be fully accountable to the Elders, or should they make the mine a public endeavor?

Notable Events:
1. The hospital, which was used for the health and well-being of many in the village, has been heavily damaged by a fire. Northe and the Medicants are hiring workers to rebuild the hospital.

2. Frye is recovering from a devastating series of fires throughout the village, some of which may be intentional. Many people were displaced by the fires, and have been forced to either lodge with nearby neighbors and family, or to rent rooms at the various inns in Frye.

3. Lenora, of the Asura family, has had a daughter. Xijin, head of the family, may name his daughter. Although the families did not attend the Festival of New Life, they may still send their regards and a gift to Asura if they wish to do so.

4. Cisse, our Bailiff, and a detachment of armed county soldiers are currently present in Frye, conducting an investigation into the actions of the Church of Northe and the Medicants, resulting from complaints sent to him in letters from the families. Currently, Northe and his Medicants have been cooperative, since they are focused on rebuilding the hospital. Cisse is skeptical of their religion involving the dark god.
1. I think that we should allow it to become public property, we elders have enough on our hands already.

Tannell attempts to narrow down the list of suspects for the count's murder. They also try to figure out how the murderer entered the castle, in order to improve safety.

Tannell works on a continuation of the successful book. This one focuses on current theories, whether they are widely accepted or fringe ideas. They travel far and wide to collect the leading scientists of the area's thoughts.

Tannell makes a town-wide call for donations to repair the hospital. They promise they will donate the same amount as the highest donor, and that all leftover funds will be used to improve the hospital. (Tannell plans to use the remaining money to hire builders.)
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."