Burghers of Frye

Speculative evolution and forum games
Burger Cat

Re: Burghers of Frye

Post by Burger Cat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Jookun Decision:
The mines should go to the public with provided protection with hired guards to allow 50% of gathered minerals and valuables will be spent to the elders to be distributed between the families and higher-end villagers.
Acts of the month:
Xijin has decided to name his daughter "Rasu".

Xijin will spend most of his time helping his loving wife and child.

The Asura family will help in the reconstruction of the many people houses and will allow the homeless to take shelter in the Asura family area as workers to at least keep up with their lives and will be respected until their living hood is back to normal.

The cobbler will start to advertise the truceful mule to the commoners to help poor children have shoes for their feet to be protected against the harsh elements.

Xing being inspired by Tannell book have decided to write his own book with the story based on the actual story of the hunt of the murderous black beast and will add in very details about the missing people killed by this cunning beast and finally having the near end of the book with the final hunt and death of the Black Beast. Xing and Wasashi will written himself as the main characters of the book.

Airi will also give the Lew family and the Medicants in the collected information to help them with their goals.

Airi will try to focus on strengthening her magical potential in helping local citizens with 2 Asuran guards protecting her to protect herself from thugs. Airi will have flowers in her hair and will be wearing a grey cloak with dark green lines.

The Asuran Guards will begin their hunt onto the thief that has stolen their money.

Asuran farmers will continue their work on the farm.
Last edited by Burger Cat on Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:30 am

BakedToast wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:45 pm
2. Arson man is currently in the custody of Elforche, who are investigating him and his actions...
When did that happen? And how did the Wanderer teach him if he was imprisoned?

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:30 am
[ArsonMan's Capture]When did that happen? And how did the Wanderer teach him if he was imprisoned?

Arson man was taught magicks here:
Ferran: -Magical Musings- 56
The magic users, while more than willing to show off their talents to the Ferran Family, were reluctant to share their knowledge with each other. After getting permission from Ferran to be alone together, and taking an oath of secrecy to each other, the Wanderer was able to teach the Bard and the Seer his magicks, and the Bard was able to teach the Seer his magicks, neither the Bard nor the Wanderer seemed to learn anything from the Seer. The Wanderer was able to teach Arson Man his magicks after Arson Man agreed to an oath of secrecy, however Arson man was incapable of Learning the magicks of the Bard and the Seer. The Ferran family member could not learn any magicks from the three mages; but this was predominantly due to their unwillingness to share their magickal abilities with someone connected to such an establishment, not due to the Ferran member's inability to learn.
Then, Arson Man was Captured:
Ferran: -Museum Assault- 4
Early in the month, shortly before daybreak, three men rushed up to the Elforche Museum, wielding Torches and daggers. The Elforche Guards were on alert, and one of the men collapsed to the ground a good way from the Museum, and arrow protruding from his back. The other two men managed to enter close quarters combat with the guards, but were quickly outnumbered and subdued. The arrow-shot man manged to drag himself off into the shadows. Upon day-break, the Elforche guards tied two beaten and wounded men to two stakes in front of the Museum. One of them was a lowlife brigand that many knew as "One-Eyed Jack", a common thug who had stolen from many a commoner. The other was a man that very few recognized, with fiery-red hair, who appeared to still be recovering from some broken bones and other heavy wounds. Elforche then incited a riot, which caused the awakening commoners to beat One-Eyed Jack to death, while they took the other man into custody after he received a mild beating. One Eyed Jack, before his death, accused Ferran of hiring him for this assault. This enraged Elforche, and they determined to get the truth out of their other captive.
Later in the month, Arson man was unavailable for a later event:
Ferran: -Widespread Arson- 59
Although ArsonMan was... unavailable, the organized efforts of some of Ferran's more covert members who were trained by ArsonMan managed to cause several large house fires in houses of Northe through the town, including a fire in the Medicant hospital. The Medicant hospital fire was managed to be put out, but not after significant damage to the building that will take time to repair. Northe had been sleeping in an upper room in the Hospital, and managed to escape, suffering some minor burns and scarring. Northe was enraged, and vowed to the people of the village that he and the Medicants would find the culprits behind this pointless destruction of property and goodwill in Frye.
I guess I should clarify: The month's events take place in chronological order, from top to bottom. This is usually determined by the order in which players post their individual actions as well as when they make their posts in relation to each other. Since you trained Arson man before you sent him to attack the museum, he got trained, but wasn't available for later events.
I also admit, and apologize for the fact, that I wasn't 100% clear in the description of the event that it was Arson man being captured, but by reading into the next couple events, it becomes clear that it was him being captured.

Feel free to change your actions to suit this turn of events.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 am
The Elders should sell the mine to the highest bidder

Ferran begins work on a non-profit hospital. Send out people to the city to bring back medical experts. See if any of the mages want to help work there. Generally speaking the goal for quality is better than north.
Buy up resources to slow down the repair of Northe's hospital
Can Arson man turn water into other things? Like Fire Accelerants? Have him train. Have whatever goons/crimnals I have free him
Start work on the wall. Focus on the Hospital for now though.
Hire a code breaker from the city to break the letter related to Nola

Current Problems
Tannel won't leave the count's accident alone
Never Enough Money
Northe. I don't remember why I went to war with him, but too late now.
Not having a mine.

Letter to Cisse
We actually had two original fossils, honest.

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:34 am

Tiberius wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 pm
Tiberius wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:14 am
The Elders should sell the mine to the highest bidder

Ferran begins work on a non-profit hospital. Send out people to the city to bring back medical experts. See if any of the mages want to help work there. Generally speaking the goal for quality is better than north.
Buy up resources to slow down the repair of Northe's hospital
Can Arson man turn water into other things? Like Fire Accelerants? Have him train. Have whatever goons/crimnals I have free him
Start work on the wall. Focus on the Hospital for now though.
Hire a code breaker from the city to break the letter related to Nola

Current Problems
Tannel won't leave the count's accident alone
Never Enough Money
Northe. I don't remember why I went to war with him, but too late now.
Not having a mine.

Letter to Cisse
Lew also helps build Ferran's non profit hospital
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Who is left to act?
I'm gonna put the last thing I copied here. Will change each time I visit for variety
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:06 am

naturegirl1999 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:48 pm
Who is left to act?
Everyone's done, I'm drafting up the report. Hopefully it will be up soon :)
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

naturegirl1999

Post by naturegirl1999 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:56 am

Cool. Glad this game is back :D
Korobeiniki

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 am

And so, the Seventh month draws to an end; a month of recovery, of rebuilding, and growth for the Village of Frye. Summer's heat has begun to set in, and crops grew well under the caring hands of the farmers. Much has transpired in this month.

The Elders have discussed the Current issues, and their results are recorded here.
[Note: As per the prior legal arrangement, Northe has had to step down from the council. In his place sits the Ud'ebbhaian head priest, Gardore. He will have council influence for 6 months, after which a Dabalian representative will join the Elders.]

1. Should the Elders continue to manage the mines themselves, or sell them to another private owner who will be fully accountable to the Elders, or should they make the mine a public endeavor?
Elamon: The mine should be given back to Elforche! This is outrageous!
Javen: I think that we should allow it to become public property, we elders have enough on our hands already.
Fenris: The Elders should sell the mine to the highest bidder.
Bouhe: The mines can become public, once we figure out why people are missing.
Jookun: The mines should go to the public with provided protection with hired guards to allow 50% of gathered minerals and valuables will be sent to the elders to be distributed between the families and higher-end villagers.
Sefiam: I support Jookun's view. It will reduce Elder-related management, and still allow us to make income from the mine. It also allows the villagers the ability to work for their own interests.
Gardore: I support Jookun and Bouhe. After an investigation, a public mine with 25% of gathered resources going to the Elders and 25% of the resources going to the followers of the one true god, Udehbb'ha.
Final Vote: After long discussion and heated debates from Elamon and Fenris, the council came to a conclusion, although both Fenris and Elamon were less than enthused by the results. The mine would be temporarily shut down for a month-long investigation, after which, if there was no issues, the mine would be re-opened for public use. Those who wished to gather resources from the mine would give 50% of all gathered resources to the Elders, and this 50% would then be further split in half, with the Elders keeping half, and the other half being equally divided among all the religious groups in Frye, who would each send a monthly representative to collect their share of the resources. At the next monthly meeting, the results of the investigation will be laid out, and the Elders will determine if the mine is still safe to use.
Cisse, our Bailiff, has read the letters of the powerful families and has responded accordingly.
Lew:
[No Letter was Written]

Tannell:
[No Letter was Written]

Ferran:

Asura:
[No Letter was Written]

Elforche:
Our good Bailiff,
Elforche has always been a cornerstone of the community, and now our financial stability is being gravely challenged by the events of the past month, in which our mines were taken from us. You were witness of the event. We strongly suggest that you intervene on this matter and restore the mines to Elforche. We offer a 50% tax on all resources coming from the mines, which would go directly to our venerable Bailiff, Cisse. We also suggest a closer investigation of the Ferran family, who not lied directly to your grace in the trial, but also has ulterior motives to trying to remove the mines from our possession.
Always Loyal, Elforche.

Cisse, being currently in Frye on other business related to the prior month, has received the letters while in Frye. Cisse decided to respond to Ferran's letter personally during his visit to Ferran's family estate on other unrelated matters. As for Elforche's letter, Cisse has taken it into consideration but wants to first hear what the Elders' month-long investigation will turn up.
The powerful families have done much this past month:
Tannell: -Last Chance- 7
Tannell's investigators, having already looked into this information many times, manage to find no new sources of information beyond what they already know. With nothing to present to Count Ashet, he gives the Tannell emissaries a good tongue-lashing before relieving them of the case. They were unable to find a solution, and thus the Count will not pay them for their work in this matter any further. He is now also skeptical of Tannell's capabilities, and will be less likely to want to hire them in the future. [Tannell could, theoretically, continue investing Count Adaarn's murder, but they would not be paid to keep doing so.]

Tannell: -Authorized Version- 35 (Result Aided by Lew)
Tannell sent many representatives to the surrounding villages and the town of Traye, but did not find much of scientific note. Further, Tannell's recent failure at the hands of Count Ashet has discouraged others from wishing to collaborate with them. Tannell finds an ally in Lew, who gives them knowledge about various herbal treatments and natural remedies for varying illnesses, which gives them a bit of new information, but does not constitute an entire book's worth of material.

Tannell: -Hospitality- 57
The call for donations receives an average response, with many of the more well-off citizens donating to the repair of Northe's hospital. A public ceremony in which the family heads of Tannell give all the generous donations to Northe and match the highest one recieves public acclaim, and Tannell's reputation with Tannell and the Medicants increases slightly.

Lew: -Hospital Aid- 73
Northe graciously accepts the offer of Lew, and employs their available family members in areas where they are effective. The extra labor bolsters the reconstruction of the hospital, and Northe shows increased respect for Lew; Lew's reputation with the Medicants and the populace near the hospital increases. Northe expresses his gratitude to Lew, and reveals that the Medicants have no qualms with Lew's presence in Frye, as they are beneficial to everyone.

Lew: -Arson Antidote- 62
Although Lew is stretched thin with all the help they are giving, they manage to provide shelter to the villagers whose [rented] homes had been destroyed in the rampant fires of last month. Investigations by some of the Lew family members has provided some information about the attacks, as several eyewitnesses report groups of men travelling through the back allies shortly before the fires, carrying smoldering torches, robed in dark hoods. Whoever the attackers were, they were organized and each fire was not independent from the other fires.

Lew: -Baby Gift- 26
Lew's gift, while in good intention, did not go over well with Asura. The herbs and medicines proved to be a bit too strong for baby Rasu, making her vomit. Rasu is also barely two months old, and thus is unable to eat any of the food the Lew sent. Relations between Lew and Asura become slightly strained.

Lew: -Book Analysis- 10
Unfortunately, members of Lew are farmers and herbalists, not scientists. They could not glean much information at all from the book.

Ferran: -Private Healthcare- 89 (Result Aided by Lew)
The construction of the Ferran Hospital goes quickly and efficiently with the help of Lew's laborers, and Ferran having access to superior metalworking skills and masonry, while also buying up materials that would be needed for Northe' hospital, which were then used to build Ferran's new hospital. The work went surprisingly fast, Ferran being able to hire many of the laid-off workers from the Elforche mine, and the hospital will be finished by the beginning of the next month.

Ferran: -From the Frying Pan- 51
Knowing only that Arson Man was in Elforche's custody, but not knowing where he was kept, turned out to be a major roadblock for Ferran's "thugs". After searching for quite some time, Ferran has acquired the knowledge that Arson Man is being held captive in the basement of the heavily guarded private villa of Elforche, which is where Nola is also in custody. There was not enough time to mount a rescue operation this month, but doing so would have been futile anyway, what with Ferran's criminal retinue consisting entirely of one man, who has only recently recovered from an arrow wound.

Ferran: -Wall Workings- 82
Despite their resources being split between the hospital and the wall, Ferran laborers have managed to make a lot of progress toward the completion of the protective wall around the village of Frye. The construction has gone without a hitch, and Ferran has the wall about 1/4 of the way completed.

Ferran: -Traye Tipper- 27
While Ferran did indeed locate a skilled cipher in Traye, he is currently being employed by Count Ashet in matters of county-wide intrigue. The cipher responds to Ferran's request by stating in a covert letter that he is being paid very well by the Count, and it would take a lot of money to sway him to leave Count Ashet's services; moreover, he would not be able to leave easily; he would have to either disappear without a trace or fake some kind of abduction or death in order to leave the Count's court. The cipher is currently too engaged in his employment to devise such an exit himself.

Asura: -Xijin's Family Life- 56
Xijin spends much time this month with Lenora, his wife, and Rasu, his daughter. While he doesn't get much done in the way of administration of the family's affairs, he does get to grow closer to his wife and child. Lenora appreciates the gesture, and while Rasu is too young for complex thought, a bond forms between the young child and her father.

Asura: -Rebuilding- 71
Asura manages to direct much of the Asuran city guard and other resources at their disposal to aid in the reconstruction of the destroyed homes. The tenants of the homes, as well as Northe and the Medicants, are grateful for this show of support. Asura's reputation increases with both the common populace and with Northe and the Medicants.

Asura: -Marketing Mule- 60
Commoners become more aware of this budding young trade industry of cobbling, run by Asura, and begin to buy more of their footwear from them, as it is a good quality and of competitive price. The increased sales generate a small gain in revenue for Asura.

Asura: -Xing's Xenography- 13
Xing, being an old man, and Wasashi, being a warrior above all, are not the best candidates for writing a coherent document of the events involving the Black Beast. While they manage to get the key events down, there is very little in the way of detail, and the book lacks content, being more in volume akin to a newsletter. Without a skilled scribe and/or editor, Asura runs the risk of a poorly documented source being interpreted as historical fact among the people of Frye if they release the book as it is.

Asura: -Amiable Aid- 34
Airi, robed in a flowing grey and green cloak, flowers in hair, walks through the summer streets of Frye as a healing angel. The commoners stare in awe and many approach her, but not too closely, due to the heavy armor and sharp weapons of the 2 Asuran guards who keep a close eye on her at all times. While Airi does manage to ease the pain of many

Asura: -Filthy Filchers- 93
The Asuran Guard manages to be very effective in questioning those related to the event, particularly the Dabalian priestess, Daphne, who had been seen notifying a thug of something during Asura's recent visit to the temple. She quickly broke down upon questioning, and gave full details about the thug, a man called "Mace" who had promised her half of all winnings he got from her tips. This had been her first tip, and he hadn't payed her yet. She knew that Mace and his cronies were regulars at the Indigo Ibex, where they plan many of their operations in one of the darker corners of the tavern section of the inn. Daphne reveals that early evening would be a good time to take Mace and his men by surprise as they would be most likely be just entering the inn at that time. Alternately, another source, a street vagrant by the name of Luge, informed the Asuran guards that Mace and his men usually separated at daybreak to different areas of Frye, carrying out most of their activities under cover of darkness, and that he knew where they kept most of their loot. Knowing how Asura has compensated commoners in the past, Luge offers to take a squad of Asuran guards to the loot stash of Mace and his men, if Xijin in return gives him an honorary position in the Asura family, and food and shelter for the rest of his life.

Asura: -Farm Fortunes- 28
Unfortunately, without Lew's help this month, the militarized family of Asura is not very adept at farming, and causes more damage than good with their heavy-handed behavior around the young plants in their farms. Many plants are damaged and a small portion of them die, rendering Asura's crop less productive than it was previously.
New Issues:
1. Gardore, the Udebbha'ian representative on the Village Elders, wastes no time utilizing his new position. He proposes a new law that exempts the Udebbha'ian church and it's priests from paying taxes. After all, they are a religious organization devoted to the spiritual well-being of Frye, and have done nothing to harm anyone.
Remember that any family with a family member as a village Elder is able to propose a new law!
Notable Events:
1. Cisse's investigation of Northe and the Medicants is intentionally thorough, and tensions rise between Northe and the Bailiff. Ultimately, Northe is allowed to continue leading the Medicants, but the Medicants must in turn pay a tax to Cisse to continue their operations, particularly the ones involving the "Dark god". The Medicants are not thrilled about this, but are not about to raise an issue with the Bailiff on the subject... at least not yet...

2. Cisse's visit to the Ferran family estate goes fairly swimmingly for Ferran. Cisse accepts their revelation of having a second fossil, and asks them for clarification on the issue they have with the Udebbha'ian Church in Frye. After receiving information, he informs Ferran that he will command the head of the Udebbha'ian church to refrain from interfering in local businesses, especially if they are benefiting the economy of Frye. After sharing a friendly meal with the leaders of the Ferran family, reminiscing over the time when he was a young apprentice to Ferran's blacksmith, Cisse wishes them all the best in their future endeavors and reminds Ferran to send him a letter if they need anything.

3. Northe's Hospital rebuilding gets aided by both Lew's laborers and Tannell's financial support, but has difficulty finding materials to build with, due to Ferran buying up many of the materials for their own hospital and the wall of Frye. The donations that Tannell garnered are effective to buy some of the resources necessary before Ferran gets them; but it appears that Northe is holding back, keeping most of the finances for himself, and the Church of Northe... Airi provides support by soothing the strained muscles of the builders and relieving pain from minor injuries. The hospital, having only one wing that needed extensive repairs, should hopefully be fully repaired by the end of next month, if the rate of acquiring materials does not slow even further.

4. Due to the Eastern mine being closed for inspection, the Western Mines are seeing more business, and Kryne (The owner) is growing more wealthy and influential as a result. Many of the Eastern mine workers who were laid off are rehired for labor in the Western Mines. Kryne offers Ferran a price only slightly higher than the bulk price Elforche had been charging Ferran for the iron, if Ferran agrees to buy iron exclusively from Kryne.

5. Armanus, along with the students who were excelling in literacy at the school, along with several commoners and more well-off villagers who attended the meeting Armanus had last month, have begun to regularly meet on a weekly basis in the extravagant basement of Armanus' house. Armanus has left his position in the School to become a full-time spiritual guide to those who attend his meetings. Most of them have begun to renounce their old beliefs about Dabalia and/or U'debbha, preferring to conglomerate with the group of Armanus. Several of them have sent formal requests to the Asuran members who had attended the initial meeting to attend once again, as they had shown fealty earlier.

6. The School is currently lacking a curriculum in History and in Literacy. The other classes are going smoothly, but many require the students to be literate in even a basic sense if they are going to succeed. The teachers are petitioning the Elders to get the Literacy curriculum back on track.

In short, here are the current Issues that the Elders can vote on this month:
1. Should the Udebbha'ian Church and it's priests be exempt from tax, yes or no?
And thus, the Eighth month, the Month of Summer's Heat, will come upon us. Crops shall grow well, and soon, harvest time shall be upon us. What shall become of Frye in this month? And what shall the families assay to do? We shall find out..

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:59 am

BakedToast wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:54 am
In short, here are the current Issues that the Elders can vote on this month:
1. Should the Udebbha'ian Church and it's priests be exempt from tax, yes or no?
And thus, the Eighth month, the Month of Summer's Heat, will come upon us. Crops shall grow well, and soon, harvest time shall be upon us. What shall become of Frye in this month? And what shall the families assay to do? We shall find out..
1. No, even we elders have to pay taxes. Besides, this may upset the other churches.

Tannell puts the second book on hold, and instead returns to studying the ruins.

Tannell apologizes to the count on their failure, and says they will continue to search for the culprit without payment. (Tannell now works much slower, as they are trying to conserve funds.)

Tannell volunteers one of the more learned members of their family (Motoun) to teach literacy.

Tannell begins to search for new types of brews for their inn, the Eloquent Oak.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."