The Guiding Lights Turn 4

Speculative evolution and forum games
Guineapig004

Re: The Guiding Lights

Post by Guineapig004 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am

The population of Homo rudolfensis in the Amur River Basin has had the Acheulean culture spread to them.

The population of Paranthropus boisei that moved to the Sahara experiences an increase in brain mass.

The Australopithecus sediba develop more energy efficient muscles to better chase down their prey.

It's good to be back!
Last edited by Guineapig004 on Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:05 am

Amur Rudolfensis adopt the clothing they need to survive in the cold land they find themselves in.

Boisei Adopt a tradition of raiding and kidnapping

Australopithicus expand their range to include lands of Habilis as it goes extinct.

I need Rudolfensis alive to get them to the new world. I assume the primary issue is the environment not food? If food is the issue I'll change my vote to fishing tools.
Even if the Boisei don't have their own ideas, they can at least steal them. Although other votes might change that.
I'm hoping no one saves Habilis since they're kind of boring so the vote goes through.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:06 pm

Guineapig004 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:15 am
The population of Homo rudolfensis has had the Acheulean culture spread to them.

The population of Paranthropus boisei that moved to the Sahara experiences an increase in brain mass.

The Australopithecus sediba develop more energy efficient muscles to better chase down their prey.

It's good to be back!
Which Rudolfensis? Chinese, African, or Amur?
I, too, have missed running forum games.
Tiberius wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:05 am
I need Rudolfensis alive to get them to the new world. I assume the primary issue is the environment not food? If food is the issue I'll change my vote to fishing tools.
Even if the Boisei don't have their own ideas, they can at least steal them. Although other votes might change that.
I'm hoping no one saves Habilis since they're kind of boring so the vote goes through.
A combination of both. Clothes would help, though they can always get hairier. Food preservation would help as well, they are effectively seasonal eaters.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:53 pm

Prudentia wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:06 pm
Which Rudolfensis? Chinese, African, or Amur?
I, too, have missed running forum games.
Whoops. I meant the population in the Amur River Basin.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:06 am

In that case, I'll leave it as is, and hope they survive another turn to get food online.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 pm

Wow, 3 days and already 14 replies. Looks like this game is what this forum needed! Can't believe I missed the first turn. Color me extremely excited!

Votes:

Ergaster develops powerful arm muscles, particularly for throwing, in order to hurl rocks and other projectiles at prey species.

Superstitions about the Night Sky being a giant black rock that could fall have kept Homo Erectus huddled in shelters and caves every night, never venturing out at night, dawn, or dusk.

The Boisei population experiences frequent and heavy predatorial attacks from Hyenas and other predators that live in the Green Sahara.

The Boisei population begins to extensively -and almost exclusively- interbreed with their kidnapped victims, and the Boisei begin to inherit traits from their Habilis and Robustus victims.

I hope my votes are good!

I assume all these "Species" can interbreed with each other at this point?
Last edited by BakedToast on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:39 pm

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 pm

The Boisei population begins to extensively -and almost exclusively- interbreed with their kidnapped victims, and the Boisei begin to inherit traits from their Habilis and Robustus victims.

I hope my votes are good!

I assume all these "Species" can interbreed with each other at this point?
They are except this one. No interbreeding yet. But interbreeding is coming soon!
I am amazed by the response considering that before, I poked the forum with a stick, and it took about two days to twitch.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 pm

Alright, I’ll rework that vote this evening most likely, when I get a chance.

To be fair, I’d have missed this entirely- and the previous poking, if I hadn’t checked the forum on a whim, coincidentally at the same time you poked with a stick. After that, it was on my mind in the backlog, and so I happened to check it out yesterday, also on a whim.
"Greater than I, none. Less than I, none. For I am Chayrus. All shall be one, as I am."

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:03 am

BakedToast wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:54 pm
Alright, I’ll rework that vote this evening most likely, when I get a chance.

To be fair, I’d have missed this entirely- and the previous poking, if I hadn’t checked the forum on a whim, coincidentally at the same time you poked with a stick. After that, it was on my mind in the backlog, and so I happened to check it out yesterday, also on a whim.
Well, I have got my life in order... Ish. Still unemployed and living at home, and nearly 25. I'd be embarassed except my field was basically politically assassinated over the last four years, plus pandemic.
Still though, every Wednesday, they'll be a new turn. Give or take 12 hours.

BakedToast

Post by BakedToast » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:25 am

Alright, changed my vote.

The Boisei population experiences frequent and heavy predatorial attacks from Hyenas and other predators that live in the Green Sahara.

I figured that the Boisei need a bit of a challenge since they've been expanding unimpeded for quite some time.