The Guiding Lights Turn 4

Speculative evolution and forum games
Prudentia

The Guiding Lights Turn 4

Post by Prudentia » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:20 pm

In the beginning, Life was primitive, and the gods took little notice of life below. However, when something stirred below, and began to move with purpose, the gods began to show interest. They spread throughout a part of the world, displayed their ingenuity by making things that the gods had never thought of. Tools. Yet, the gods regarded them as little more than curiosities. Until they spoke with words. Marvelous, yet unintelligible words. Gone was the screeches and growls of their animal ancestors, here was words, and limited control of fire.

Gameplay:
Each era will have unique rules.
In the current era, you have the power to alter humanity by command. Generations of living how you direct them will bring long term changes to Homini tribe, and even endorse speciation. Right now, there are several species, but barring the intervention of the Gods, they will follow their historical development, meaning that all but one will die out.
You’ll vote by doing things to aid them. Make their food more nutritious, or less. Hit an area with a disaster to lessen the other populations, reduce their predator’s population. But you can also vote to make some like caves more, giving them secure places to sleep. And over several turns, altering them to be more suited to their half troglodyte lifestyle. You may shield them from otherwise devastating events (or inflict them) or help them to create a newer tool.

As the game goes along, and enters new eras, the rules will change as the being you interact with become progressively smarter. The first two turns will only be 50,000 years, since several species are poised to be extinct by 1.6 million years, so that will give people two turns to try and save them.

Rules:
No magic, no real proof of gods existing.
No attacking another god’s votes, this era. As in don't make a vote that counters another gods vote.
Three votes per person, one vote per culture/species (Protection from a disaster counts).
Max of one disaster vote per turn.
Keep them simple, like: Acheulean culture reaches East Africa; A group of Boisei use caves; Chinese Habilis discover raft making; Sediba receives a an increase in brain mass (For now, 3.5% increase for turns 1 & 2); etc.
I will let you know of any rules change when it is time.
I'm going to shoot for an update once a week.
No rolls for right now.

Welcome to the: Zal Era, beginning about 1.7 million years ago
This is a protomythical era. The most ancient of myths (Creation myths and other types of golden age myths), and races are born here.
Species:
Australopithecus sediba- The last of the first hominids. Nearly extinct, the Sediba can use tools and some basic communication, but more complex communication, like worship or philosophy is beyond them. They essentially exist on their own, in East Africa, with little contact with other hominids.
Paranthropus robustus- Some intelligence and tool use. Communication is through hand gestures, and they can understand relatively complex ideas, like future and past. Occasionally used as labor by Habilis
Paranthropus boisei- Similar to Robustus, but capable of tool making when shown/ trained. Usually used as labor by Habilis
Homo habilis- The first of the Homo genus, and also dwindling in number. Only a small group survives in Eastern Africa, close to the Boisei. Members of this species are still incapable of abstract thinking (Gods, worship, etc, though they are more advanced than the previous three). Here marks the transition to a more monogamous type mating system than is seen in the above species.
Homo erectus - A newer human species that has displaced Rudolfensis through out Southern Asia in recent Millenia, and even begun to spread into Europe from Northern Africa.
Homo rudolfensis A sister species to Habilis, the species once stretched from Africa to Indonesia, now restricted to Africa and a single population in China, and not long for this world, left unattended. Exceptionally smart.
Homo ergaster The founder species of Erectus, Ergaster is limited to East and South Africa. Despite the fact that they used fire first, most of the fire users lived in North Africa. Quickly becoming the Erectus, while knowledge of fire was slowly still spreading to the Ergaster, since they lived on a North-South access.
Culture: In the Zal age, this is tied to tool making methods.
This era is home to that Oldowan culture, and the Acheulean culture. These are differing methods of tool production, with the latter being new, and only practiced by Erectus. Only other members of genus Homo are intelligent and dexterous enough to practice the Acheulean.

Map
https://imgur.com/a/MAal9Ee
Last edited by Prudentia on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

joshthehawk

Re: The Guiding lights

Post by joshthehawk » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:23 pm

First of all, consider me interested. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, when I have more energy for reading.

Also, your map doesn't show for me.

Glad to see some activity!
If I'm making a comment with this type of text I'm talking as a moderator.
Anonymous wrote:And those who were seen dancing
where thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music.

Prudentia

Re: The Guiding lights

Post by Prudentia » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:28 pm

joshthehawk wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:23 pm
First of all, consider me interested. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, when I have more energy for reading.

Also, your map doesn't show for me.

Glad to see some activity!
No problem, I have to make I have a response ready anything people might anyways, and my brain won't work until coffee. Which won't be until after the dog's vet appointment.
Map should work now!

It is good to see the activity. Guess the game going to steam, plus everyone getting older did a number on the poor forum, didn't it?

DehEvil

Re: The Guiding Lights

Post by DehEvil » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:41 am

Ey I'm here, I'll try to keep this from being a 2 post topic.
Now as for actions... got to think on it.
Tiberius wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:14 am
unwater

Guineapig004

Post by Guineapig004 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:32 am

Will return to this. Am a bit more busy nowadays.
"And fear struck the hearts of the dodos, as they realized they were being watched..."

Tiberius

Post by Tiberius » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:44 am

Do we need to make a god or anything? Either way here's my votes

Some Homo rudolfensis in China move North west, to avoid contact with Homo Erectus (I'm aiming for the Bering Strait)

A Group of trained Paranthropus boisei escape from being used as labor, taking acheulean culture with them.

Superstitions about monsters lurking in the unknown discourages Homo Erectus's continued expansion/migration

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:36 pm

Tiberius wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:44 am
Do we need to make a god or anything? Either way here's my votes

Some Homo rudolfensis in China move North west, to avoid contact with Homo Erectus (I'm aiming for the Bering Strait)

A Group of trained Paranthropus boisei escape from being used as labor, taking acheulean culture with them.

Superstitions about monsters lurking in the unknown discourages Homo Erectus's continued expansion/migration
No god making yet. None of you all really have any use for names, or titles.

Good votes.

joshthehawk

Post by joshthehawk » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am

More Homo Erectus move north into Europe to join their relatives.

The spread of fire is hastened among the Homo Ergaster population.

Australopithecus sediba start living in larger groups with each other.

Do these votes work?
If I'm making a comment with this type of text I'm talking as a moderator.
Anonymous wrote:And those who were seen dancing
where thought to be insane
by those who could not hear the music.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:45 am

joshthehawk wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:18 am

Do these votes work?
Yes they do!

Prudentia

Re: The Guiding Lights- Turn 2

Post by Prudentia » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:56 am

Map for Turn 2

Zal Era, beginning about 1.65 million years ago

Votes:

Australopithecus sediba:
Living in larger social groups has enabled this species to improve it’s population size somewhat, though it is still precarious (Extinction in 150 ky)
Paranthropus robustus- No change (No danger of extinction).
Paranthropus boisei:
A small group of Boisei have wandered free of their semi-slavery and established themselves in the Green Sahara. They have retained tool making and creation, but lack the ability to improve or alter the tool design consciously (No danger of extinction).
Homo habilis:
Habilis has had no real changes (Extinction in 50 ky)
Homo erectus :
Erectus has begin to properly invade Europe, now inhabiting Turkey, and a wedge of Iberia. Tales of monsters, in the form of Gigantopithecus keep the Erectus in SE Asia within their current range (No danger of extinction).
Homo rudolfensis :
A splinter group has moved from the Chinese population and moved Northwest. Settling a population in the Amur River Basin, where life is harsh, and unforgiving. (African extinct in 50ky, Chinese extinct in 50ky, Amur extinct in 50 ky)
Homo ergaster :
With the spread of fire increase, Ergaster has itself able to make headway into a relatively empty West Africa, colonizing the empty jungle, slowly but surely (No danger of extinction).

Culture: In the Zal age, this is tied to tool making methods.
This era is home to the Oldowan (Habilis, EAf Boisei, robustus, sediba) culture, and the Acheulean culture. These are differing methods of tool production, with the latter being new, and only practiced by Erectus, Ergaster and WAf Boisei. Only other members of genus Homo are intelligent and dexterous enough to practice the Acheulean.