Competition, a forum game of directed evolution !

Speculative evolution and forum games
20 characters!

Re: Competition, a forum game of directed evolution !

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:06 am

Quasar wrote:
20 characters! wrote:
AngerDomeAble wrote:And yet he is doing better then both of us.
That's because he gave up being useless...
HOW DARE YOU SIR!

Dinocrinis titulus explodes randomly, eats itself AND its own excrement, infrequently kills itself with cancerous tumours that it cultivates on purpose and produces giant 2001 homages for no other reason than because it can.

IT IS VERY MODEL OF A MODERN MAJOR GENERAL I MEAN USELESS.

And it...

... IS...

... GLOOOORIOUS.
That sounds like Better Than Functional, and you're just a poisonous carnivorous plant you are not some elder God I shall not bend my will to you.
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Neovenator

Post by Neovenator » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:08 am

20 characters! wrote:That sounds like Better Than Functional, and you're just a poisonous carnivorous plant you are not some elder God I shall not bend my will to you.
...Become Elder God.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:14 am

Neovenator wrote:
20 characters! wrote:That sounds like Better Than Functional, and you're just a poisonous carnivorous plant you are not some elder God I shall not bend my will to you.
...Become Elder God.
I'm now assured that you are both insane and a threat to all life on this alien planet, I will now focus my efforts on exterminating you.

Thank you Neovenator I really appreciate the effort.
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 am

I'm gone for merely a forever and this is what I miss? Noooooooo!

Also, everyone can give up. Team Worse-Than-Useless will win.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:43 am

MrKyurem wrote:I'm gone for merely a forever and this is what I miss? Noooooooo!

Also, everyone can give up. Team Worse-Than-Useless will win.
You can join his team if you feel that way…
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I just came back from "having a life", so the update will be late(r) than usual. ^_^"

Apparently in-between I became a moderator and WTU is trying to ascend to godhood. :| Weeeeell. :mrgreen: We'll see how it goes.

20 characters! wrote:@white parrot: how sophisticated is my Creatures brain at this point?, because that's some important information I'll need keep in mind for the future.
Uh ... I don't know much about neuroscience, so I'll mostly speak about your behavior:
when you first developed movement, the future "brain" was simply a pair of ganglions among another, simply used to coordinate a pair of paddles. The more complex problem posed at that time was about timing muscular activation considering what the other paddles were doing. At its core, your brain has an innate sense of rhythm.
Senses were acquired, and suddenly the rhythm didn't emerged collectively from spontaneous activations: it was to be modulated, determined by sensory input. This is where the two first ganglions were fused, and became able to interpret olfactory and tactile data: in short, they centralized the decision process.
The ability to process sensory input progressed to the point the Lake-worms were able to behave very peculiarly around their own, not only not eating them but also fend dangers for them. While it's doubtful the Lake-worm conceptualized these animals as members of its species, it nonetheless had a special "mental case" identifying them as something special.
As you became photosynthetic, "timing" became especially important: the barometz needed to rest at night while keeping out of the shadow at days, and so became able to conceptualize extremely long intervals of time This became useful when it developed the ability to dive, as it now had a cerebral structure pre-made for keeping track of the time it could stay underwater. Spatial reasoning also developed, to link sensory perceptions of locations and the time needed to travel to them. Basic memory emerged from these needs.
As for now, your brain is characterised by an extremely good (some may say "overdeveloped) sense of empathy and social reasoning. The Social Greenbeast and its descent is able to self-identify with another member of its species to anticipate their reactions and their need; it actually has grown self-conscience this way (at least that's the neurological theory I subscribe to :P ). Memory grew again, to have a reference of past status to compare with the situation of other Greenbeasts.

To resume: your brain is bilateral as a result of history, but this doesn't appear functionally relevant. The stem of your brain deals with autonomous reactions and timekeeping of a far-reaching internal clock. Your front lobe is dedicated to the analysis of sensory information, the back lobe takes the motor decisions that will transit through the stem to be sent to the limbs. Between these two lobes have grown a thick bulb keeping track of memory and spatial reasoning. An initially small part of the front lobe has grown so much it now encases the whole brain: this is the social lobe, the siege of the conscience of the self and the others. It is heavily linked with the memory bulb: a big protuberance on top of the memory zone deals with episodic memory (remembrance of what happened to oneself).
The Gliding Greenbeast is perceptive, has a precise capacity of visualization, is empathetic with others, and has the luxury of a self-conscience. Among its flaws, it has a tendency to perceive its environment as static: while it can imagine itself and other Greenbeasts moving around in its mental map, it has difficulty seeing the world as something inconstant. It simply updates its representation when noticing something new, but has little to no ability to deduct a schema to the phenomenon in the world beside cyclical changes.
Not that it has too much to fear from unpredictable entities: it is by far the most intelligent lifeform on the planet.
I mean, the Imps are smart indeed (though they have no empathy whatsoever, including the ability to predict in detail their prey's actions), but that's because they inherited the brain of the host part: the parasite itself only adds to it new senses and muscles, but no major cognitive ability. By itself, the parasite has a decentralized intelligence, spines and tentacles convulsing reflexively according to the smells they perceive. The Monolith circle is no better, being also moved by localized reflexes. An exception should be done to its tentacle pods, though: while their nervous system is no compacted into a precise location into a cranium, they do have a mean ballistic sense, able to adjust the impulse to send to a tentacle so that it reaches any moving object in range.

... This is all rather interesting, if I can say so myself. :mrgreen:
Hopefully enough to sate your thirst for updates for a time. :P
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Everyone, I implore you to imagine what a weregreen-beast transformation sequence would look like!
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:17 pm

Where did everyone go why is no one saying anything?
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 pm

20 characters! wrote:Where did everyone go why is no one saying anything?
there is nothing to talk about.
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:19 pm

AngerDomeAble wrote:
20 characters! wrote:Where did everyone go why is no one saying anything?
there is nothing to talk about.
You could talk about people turning into GreenBeast's....
Or, far more plausibly , GreenBeast's becoming sophonts...
Last edited by 20 characters! on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage