0.8.0 (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Quasar
Site Admin

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Maarak wrote:Trying to run using either the latest patch or a fresh download gives me an error message on startup about lack of permissions, and then the .exe file disappears from the install folder... Tried running as admin to no avail.
This may be related to where you're running the program from: Windows has some odd rules about programs accessing files in Program Files and special folders like My Documents or the desktop. You could try running it from C:\Species.

Hope that helps...

Maarak

Post by Maarak » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:00 am

That did the trick, thanks.

edit. Spoke too soon, doing the same thing now even though it's installed to C:\
Last edited by Maarak on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClassyAmoeba
Location: On a planet orbiting a star orbiting the all mighty Quasar, but at a safe distance

Post by ClassyAmoeba » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:10 am

I seem to be having an incompatibility issue with the new patch. The game shows 190 creatures at the save file, and only shows 120 when the game starts. I am using a windows 8, the game crashes within 30 seconds of loading the world. Save file is a day old and it is called Tronia period 8. One rover is present, the Temperature is - 1, Fertility is 1, the Water Level is 0.2, the size is 1, and when it crashes, no crash report is created. Instead, a debug or close program screen pops up. I want to keep this world as it is by far my most developed. Any help from any member of this forum? Is it a bug? Is it a computer shutting down the program for an unknown reason? Answers?

Edit: It was one of the first corrupted save files ever. I am sooo glad to have this distinction.
Do not provoke my wrath.
This will be my only warning

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:08 pm

AOE22 wrote:So, will I be able to get the working version by directly dowloading it off of the main download page in the home area, or will I have to dowload the patches directly too? Also, can you explain how to update it again?
*cough*
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:36 pm

AOE22 wrote:
AOE22 wrote:So, will I be able to get the working version by directly dowloading it off of the main download page in the home area, or will I have to dowload the patches directly too? Also, can you explain how to update it again?
*cough*
Playtesting is finished for 0.8, so you can download it from the Species homepage now.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:47 pm

Natural_20 wrote:
AOE22 wrote:
*cough*
Playtesting is finished for 0.8, so you can download it from the Species homepage now.
I already have the game. How do I update it? Qu said it *somewhere* but Im ot in the mood to hunt it down.
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:41 pm

AOE22 wrote:
Natural_20 wrote:[quote="AOE22]
*cough*
I already have the game. How do I update it? Qu said it *somewhere* but Im ot in the mood to hunt it down.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Alright,fine,the link for the patch is on page 16. I still don't get why you didn't just download the whole game again, seeing as is the same thing as a fully patched game. Is your internet very slow or limited bandwidth?
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Natural_20 wrote:
AOE22 wrote:
Natural_20 wrote:[quote="AOE22]
*cough*
I already have the game. How do I update it? Qu said it *somewhere* but Im ot in the mood to hunt it down.
[/quote][/quote]
Alright,fine,the link for the patch is on page 16. I still don't get why you didn't just download the whole game again, seeing as is the same thing as a fully patched game. Is your internet very slow or limited bandwidth?[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Slow internet.. I live in Bumf**** Egyt(and Im not a bum). Also, HOW do I do it exactly? Can you please put it up in order for this idiot?
-AΘE22

Rubix30

Post by Rubix30 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:54 pm

AOE22 wrote:Also, HOW do I do it exactly? Can you please put it up in order for this idiot?
Download the patch on page 16 of this thread.

Put it wherever you like, desktop, documents, etc.

Open the newly downloaded zip folder(or just regular folder with stuff in it. I can't remember if it's a zip.)

Unzip if necessary into desired folder.

Open the folder where you placed your patch dwnld.

Open up the folder with your current version of Species.

With them both open take the contents of the new patch folder and drag them over into the current Species folder.

You will most likely get a msg asking if it is ok to replace certain files. Click YES for all of them that pop up.

---- Your done! - Don't forget to replace the shortcut on your desktop for Species or it might try to run a non-existent version. Not sure about that, but 'just in case' is the first rule of computers, of course.

---- Your only replacing the .exe and adding an updated content folder I believe. - If you have any trouble, just ask, I'll help you get it.
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
I am large—I contain multitudes." - Walter Whitman, Leaves of Grass