0.8.0 (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
20 characters!

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by 20 characters! » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:03 pm

I think a toggle extinct lineages would be a better feature....

Anyway going back to the topic the creates are not going into the ocean to die, they are merely waiting for the food to grow back, check their metabolisms.

(at least this was the case on my worlds..)
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Mouse touchpad not work. Why not mouse touchpad work! QU SMASH!

Fixed the eyesight FOV crash, but discovered that Eyesight FOV is currently redundant: it doesn't affect scan times. Decided not to fix it this close to release, for fear of breaking something.

Worked out what was causing the Genetic Engineering Crash, but didn't manage to fix it before touchpad died.

Thought a bit about the ocean dwelling carnivores. They make sense, actually. There's no vegetation in the ocean, so herbivores that wander out there won't survive very long, while carnivores that do so may be able to last for quite a bit longer. So it's possible that, rather than being a survival strategy, it's simply a result of being able to prolong their suffering.

Rubix30

Post by Rubix30 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Quasar wrote:There's no vegetation in the ocean, so herbivores that wander out there won't survive very long, while carnivores that do so may be able to last for quite a bit longer. So it's possible that, rather than being a survival strategy, it's simply a result of being able to prolong their suffering.
Carnivores that train themselves to endure pain? I think you just made naturally adapting soldiers. Sweet.
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
I am large—I contain multitudes." - Walter Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Quasar wrote:Fixed the eyesight FOV crash, but discovered that Eyesight FOV is currently redundant: it doesn't affect scan times. Decided not to fix it this close to release, for fear of breaking something.
So I suppose we'll be looking at that bug for a long time...
Quasar wrote:Thought a bit about the ocean dwelling carnivores. They make sense, actually. There's no vegetation in the ocean, so herbivores that wander out there won't survive very long, while carnivores that do so may be able to last for quite a bit longer. So it's possible that, rather than being a survival strategy, it's simply a result of being able to prolong their suffering.
Ever combine "temperature variation by height" with a lake map? Herbivores drown, then carnivores with long stilt legs scavenge them. In 0.7, it could be pretty effective as a survival strategy.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 am

I just mentioned that the herbivores that evolved on my worlds, we're very fat and Wednesday ocean when ever vegetation depleted, in that environment they gave birth tons of babies and then die those babies would then swim back to the shore which will take a while strip the vegetation off slowly swim back use the reserves to breed, and begin the cycle all over :<)
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:00 am

My computer is being buggy right now, so I can't play D:
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

UltimateRunner

Post by UltimateRunner » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Quasar wrote:Mouse touchpad not work. Why not mouse touchpad work! QU SMASH!

Fixed the eyesight FOV crash, but discovered that Eyesight FOV is currently redundant: it doesn't affect scan times. Decided not to fix it this close to release, for fear of breaking something.

Worked out what was causing the Genetic Engineering Crash, but didn't manage to fix it before touchpad died.

Thought a bit about the ocean dwelling carnivores. They make sense, actually. There's no vegetation in the ocean, so herbivores that wander out there won't survive very long, while carnivores that do so may be able to last for quite a bit longer. So it's possible that, rather than being a survival strategy, it's simply a result of being able to prolong their suffering.
Have you tried pressing Fn+F7 (or whatever the turn off touchpad key on your laptop is)? I pressed it one time and went a little over half-a-year thinking that my touchpad stopped working until I pressed it again by accident.
Check out my blog! The newest post as of 5/29/15 is "Evolution of Scales (Part 2: Reptiles)".

sokkur

Post by sokkur » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Let me introduce to you all the pure herbivore species that live only on grass and has always done:

Here is the world settings:

What do you think about the shape of the creatures? Do they make sense in reality? I personally think that the head is too far from the ground and their feets could be more visible or maybe they have evolved a way of crawling.

Another note do the surface color of the creatures affects how much heat they absorb from the sun?

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

I don't even see the feet, so clearly that's unrealistic. If they're crawling, they could at least have the common sense of lying on their belly.
As for the head and neck, I'm not sure how it works but I'd be ready to believe it. The head must be surprisingly light to stand at the end of such a frail neck; my biggest question is why did they evolve this if they are pure grazers? There's no obvious reason for ever trying to reach something ... Do they have predators, and need to keep an eye on them?
Why are they standing so high?...
They are very intriguing. :P
sokkur wrote:Another note do the surface color of the creatures affects how much heat they absorb from the sun?
I don't think so? I believe color is purely decorative for now.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:53 pm

I had a weird case of carnivore that was exactly the opposite
carnivore 1
Their heads to the ground like bulldozers
Big blocked heads
and their butts up high

they also had their back limbs in the air - reversed & curved
I assume their had another pair of very short legs then for walking upfront - not sure
And they were very successful (and slow though)