0.8.0 (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
20 characters!

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:20 pm

White parrot wrote:I don't even see the feet, so clearly that's unrealistic. If they're crawling, they could at least have the common sense of lying on their belly.
As for the head and neck, I'm not sure how it works but I'd be ready to believe it. The head must be surprisingly light to stand at the end of such a frail neck; my biggest question is why did they evolve this if they are pure grazers? There's no obvious reason for ever trying to reach something ... Do they have predators, and need to keep an eye on them?
Why are they standing so high?...
They are very intriguing. :P
sokkur wrote:Another note do the surface color of the creatures affects how much heat they absorb from the sun?
I don't think so? I believe color is purely decorative for now.
the neck probably allows the head to move over large swaths of land without moving the body, like the fictional lumber....(from the New Dinosaurs)
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 pm

20 characters! wrote:the neck probably allows the head to move over large swaths of land without moving the body, like the fictional lumber....(from the New Dinosaurs)
That makes some sense, but that wouldn't explain why they keep their neck up ...
... How much of it is actually considered by Species? I mean, do the long neck actually allows them to eat from farther away without moving their lazy bum?
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 pm

White parrot wrote:
20 characters! wrote:the neck probably allows the head to move over large swaths of land without moving the body, like the fictional lumber....(from the New Dinosaurs)
That makes some sense, but that wouldn't explain why they keep their neck up ...
... How much of it is actually considered by Species? I mean, do the long neck actually allows them to eat from farther away without moving their lazy bum?
My girafoids only ever ate the food that was next to their mouths...
youtubeuserSara3346
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
ImageImageImage

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:51 pm

20 characters! wrote:My girafoids only ever ate the food that was next to their mouths...
Yeah, but I think that's because the matter isn't considered in the simulation for now.
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

sokkur

Post by sokkur » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 pm

White parrot wrote:I don't even see the feet, so clearly that's unrealistic. If they're crawling, they could at least have the common sense of lying on their belly.
As for the head and neck, I'm not sure how it works but I'd be ready to believe it. The head must be surprisingly light to stand at the end of such a frail neck; my biggest question is why did they evolve this if they are pure grazers? There's no obvious reason for ever trying to reach something ... Do they have predators, and need to keep an eye on them?
Why are they standing so high?...
They are very intriguing. :P
sokkur wrote:Another note do the surface color of the creatures affects how much heat they absorb from the sun?
I don't think so? I believe color is purely decorative for now.
This map has always been free of Carnivores, no wonder as the meat efficiency setting was set to 0.
Skylimit wrote:I had a weird case of carnivore that was exactly the opposite
carnivore 1
Their heads to the ground like bulldozers
Big blocked heads
and their butts up high

they also had their back limbs in the air - reversed & curved
I assume their had another pair of very short legs then for walking upfront - not sure
And they were very successful (and slow though)
Something like this?

Look at this image below is this realistic for a pure grazer?

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 am

Is able to lower Ted/its body to the ground? Because it's well-balanced and it has a beat for cutting up grass, so yeah it seems like a pretty natural Grazer.
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:45 am

Wow. Actually... really, wow.

That's really impressive: the two creatures there look to actually be very well adapted to their different lifestyles. Did they evolve in the same world?

The herbivores impressive head height is most likely to enable browsing on the taller tree types when they manage to grow: foliage height/head height is factored into the simulation. Judging by the emptyness of your world, it looks like they're very effective browsers.

Their hourglass torso is also a symptom of the physics, keeping their balance over the legs. And although it's not animated, it's not hard to imagine them pivoting on the leg joint to graze from the ground cover.

The carnivores, meanwhile, don't need the height: their food source is always at ground level, so they can stay small and low. Instead, something they're likely to want is attack damage. I know for a fact that those arms have a huge damage modifier.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:39 am

Quasar wrote:Wow. Actually... really, wow.

That's really impressive: the two creatures there look to actually be very well adapted to their different lifestyles. Did they evolve in the same world?

The herbivores impressive head height is most likely to enable browsing on the taller tree types when they manage to grow: foliage height/head height is factored into the simulation. Judging by the emptyness of your world, it looks like they're very effective browsers.

Their hourglass torso is also a symptom of the physics, keeping their balance over the legs. And although it's not animated, it's not hard to imagine them pivoting on the leg joint to graze from the ground cover.

The carnivores, meanwhile, don't need the height: their food source is always at ground level, so they can stay small and low. Instead, something they're likely to want is attack damage. I know for a fact that those arms have a huge damage modifier.
Seems legit. Still, have you yet cosidered my somewhat arbitrary, very placeholdery idea to get rid of cannibalism in later game?
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:27 am

We have not going on for long enough to see whether cannibalism sorts itself out, creatures who somehow managed to control these urges may be more successful than others.
youtubeuserSara3346
ImageImageImage

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:10 am

Quasar wrote: The herbivores impressive head height is most likely to enable browsing on the taller tree types when they manage to grow: foliage height/head height is factored into the simulation. Judging by the emptyness of your world, it looks like they're very effective browsers.
Err... No. He mentioned that they're pure grazers, and he showed his world settings on page 14. His forest density is 0, so those ridiculously tall creatures have never eaten anything but grass. My best guess is that they're exploiting the view distance gain from their head height to avoid predators or find mates.

If I remember correctly, chest size also affects stamina, so that could explain part of their odd body shape.

Currently, I'm trying to revive yet another world where an apex predator managed to eat everything that moved. I've got rovers feeding creatures with low diet, turning the predators into the new prey species. They're quadrupeds with front and back legs, and middle arms with big claws. Their attack damage is a rather impressive 140, although their ancestors had damage at 164. Never mind, their damage shot up to 240 283 340! I like how "instagib" is a damage descriptor.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.