0.8.0 (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
User avatar
Quasar
Site Admin
Posts: 1731
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:50 am

Patch 5. This patch will bring your version up to the official 0.8.0 release. Nothing major here: just a few tweaks and fixes.

http://www.speciesgame.com/Downloads/Re ... h%205).zip
Fixed creatures attempting to wander or seek temperature relief outside the map boundaries
Fixed this
Fixed camera getting stuck permanently in Orbit Creature Mode under very specific conditions
Fixed a few obscure crashes
Inverted temperature/height relationship when "Height" is selected
Added dead tree's to the wasteland biome
Thanks for all the feedback, dear minions! I could not have made 0.8.0 it as stable as it is without your help, and it's greatly appreciated. Your antidote is in the mail.

Natural_20
Posts: 1658
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:25 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Natural_20 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:58 am

Quasar wrote:Patch 5. This patch will bring your version up to the official 0.8.0 release. Nothing major here: just a few tweaks and fixes.

http://www.speciesgame.com/Downloads/Re ... h%205).zip
Fixed creatures attempting to wander or seek temperature relief outside the map boundaries
Fixed this
Fixed camera getting stuck permanently in Orbit Creature Mode under very specific conditions
Fixed a few obscure crashes
Inverted temperature/height relationship when "Height" is selected
Added dead tree's to the wasteland biome
Thanks for all the feedback, dear minions! I could not have made 0.8.0 it as stable as it is without your help, and it's greatly appreciated. Your antidote is in the mail.
The yellow text in the corner? I thought that was just a developer tool you hadn't bothered to turn off for the test.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

User avatar
Quasar
Site Admin
Posts: 1731
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:04 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Quasar » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:27 am

Natural_20 wrote:The yellow text in the corner? I thought that was just a developer tool you hadn't bothered to turn off for the test.
Nope. I didn't even know it was there. Must have been left over from *weeks* back.

User avatar
Rubix30
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:56 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Rubix30 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Played a 3 hour world earlier. It was very stable. My creatures got down to a one population count 3 times and came back on their own. (I have to have small worlds because of PC reasons) The creatures are looking more realistic as well. Two thumbs up.
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
I am large—I contain multitudes." - Walter Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Mangalica
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Mangalica » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Greetings!

Carnivores targeting prey far, far outside their possible view range (sometimes even on the other side of the map) would also be nice to get a fix for. Most of the carnivore deaths on my maps are due to them starving to death before they can possibly reach their far away targets, instead of selecting something nearby. This also happens when scavenging.

I often see them walking through, and then dying in, the middle of a herd made of the same species as their target. Omnivores have the advantage of grazing and popping out some offspring before being locked into this sort fatal fixation on a single grazer that is in all certainty unreachable, while pure carnivores seem to have high mortality due to this.

Given, I usually enjoy playing great plains type of maps where distances are greater than on maps broken up by islands.

Since I'm new I know basically nothing about the mechanics, I must admit, but maybe adding more weight to the energy cost of getting to the target or its vicinity - if already simulated - would alleviate this. Going after an equivalent that's closest would make sense. (Well either that or fixing the hunting sensory range issue, which would be the quickest solution, if implemented already.)

Further down the line, once that's done, maybe making them retarget after a while in case the prey is too fast would also be great. Retargeting after a random interval if the distance grows between the prey and the predator, while at the same time taking the species-specific motivation/sloth into account.
This could later differentiate cheetah-like high speed but low endurance ambush predators from wolf-like endurance hunters. It would also increase the advantage of faster flight animals with more refined senses as slow predators wouldn't pointlessly rob them of energy before croaking.

I'm probably out of my league here with these suggestions as you've surely considered these for further development, and if these things are already in the game or were being considered then please excuse my ignorance.

I'm aware that the predator targeting issue has been mentioned before, it's just the most annoying thing in the game I can currently find and would love to see it sorted out, if possible.

Thank you for your attention!

PS : I absolutely love the concept of this game! Thanks for developing!

User avatar
Therminator
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Therminator » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:17 pm

The only 3 instances of hunting that I observed (over a short period of observation though) were all targeted towards prey on the other side of the map.
They killed themselves walking through the desert. So that's a big selective pressure against hunting!
It doesn't even make sense to target beyond their sensory range, so I guess this is a bug?

Chance of breaking chase, or long term stalking could be controlled by the existing mechanic of, ehm, what was it again. I forgot. Ehm... Oh yes. Attention span. =)

User avatar
Sassy Cassie
Posts: 5622
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm
Location: Somewhere hot and wet

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Sassy Cassie » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:30 pm

So, will I be able to get the working version by directly dowloading it off of the main download page in the home area, or will I have to dowload the patches directly too? Also, can you explain how to update it again?
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

empocariam
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by empocariam » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Therminator wrote:The only 3 instances of hunting that I observed (over a short period of observation though) were all targeted towards prey on the other side of the map.
They killed themselves walking through the desert. So that's a big selective pressure against hunting!
It doesn't even make sense to target beyond their sensory range, so I guess this is a bug?

Chance of breaking chase, or long term stalking could be controlled by the existing mechanic of, ehm, what was it again. I forgot. Ehm... Oh yes. Attention span. =)
I've noticed quite of few instances of hunting, where the Predator will kill it's target, only to become so exhausted that it lays down to die itself. I don't think it is actually a bug, in fact, I'm sure a lot of what brings about predator death in the meat space is wounds sustained from hunting, but it is a trend I've noticed. Few predators in the simulation actually manage to hunt, kill, and eat there target, usually leaving the corpse for the creatures that were meaning to hunt the target, but were too slow.

Maarak
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:29 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Maarak » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Trying to run using either the latest patch or a fresh download gives me an error message on startup about lack of permissions, and then the .exe file disappears from the install folder... Tried running as admin to no avail.

User avatar
Rubix30
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:56 am

Re: 0.8.0 (Experimental)

Post by Rubix30 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:07 pm

Maarak wrote:Trying to run using either the latest patch or a fresh download gives me an error message on startup about lack of permissions, and then the .exe file disappears from the install folder... Tried running as admin to no avail.
You have the Microsoft XNA framework downloaded correct? If it's not that, then I don't know any further. :/
"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then, I contradict myself;
I am large—I contain multitudes." - Walter Whitman, Leaves of Grass

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest