Creature Diet Balance

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Natural_20

Creature Diet Balance

Post by Natural_20 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Please move discussion of creature diet here, as the 0.8.X thread is getting a bit messy, and it ought to make Quasar's life a lot easier if our feedback is properly sorted.

I for one have noticed that creatures don't seem to evolve into herbivores often (the tables have really turned, eh?), and that populations of carnivores and omnivores can survive for a long time even when most plant matter has died off. They don't even seem to eat the remaining plants sometimes, they just scavenge in little bites. Quasar himself mentioned that carnivores had an oddly impressive ability to survive off of cannibalism on a glacier.

I can't tell if the meat is OP, or if the plant life is so nourishing that they have no need to specialize. It doesn't diminish much until fertility is near zero.
Last edited by Natural_20 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

20 characters!

Re: Creature Diet Balance

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:00 am

I remember I had a population of times of herbivores feeding on aquatic vegetation and there were tons of slow moving very fat scavengers constantly following them around and waiting for them to die before ripping into their corpses… At least we have functional carnivores now so this is great!
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Zhaf

Post by Zhaf » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:10 pm

I think that the problem is related to the corpses generation: many carnivores are not predators at all, they can just eat the carrions left by other creatures that died by starvation without having to kill them. Carrion eaters are OP right now.
Could this be fixed by linking the quantity of meat consumable on the carrion with the fullness of the stomach of the creature that generated it and/or increasing the speed with which the meat rots?

Ewery1

Post by Ewery1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:07 pm

What Zhaf said is smart. Based on fullness of the creature's stomach it should supply an amount of food.
- Your local Red Panda with way too much power
Yasahiro wrote:Then improve the amphibity.... It's a word now, I made it.
Join my new classic competition game!

They're all grown up!
Image Image Image

20 characters!

Post by 20 characters! » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Zhaf wrote:I think that the problem is related to the corpses generation: many carnivores are not predators at all, they can just eat the carrions left by other creatures that died by starvation without having to kill them. Carrion eaters are OP right now.
Could this be fixed by linking the quantity of meat consumable on the carrion with the fullness of the stomach of the creature that generated it and/or increasing the speed with which the meat rots?
No, in my opinion meat rots to quickly as it is, but if you read quasars latests post on energy then you would know that food is not being absorbed propperly\efficency isn't being calculated Propperly.

I like the carrion eaters..
youtubeuserSara3346
20 characters! wrote:*explodes into a gore shower
combi2 wrote: ... thought that all cows could produce unlimited antibodies,boy am i a retard.
combi2 wrote:you can`t thats not how humans work
Grockstar wrote:Bats it is then. They are the poor man's snake.
ImageImageImage

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:48 am

20 characters! wrote:
Zhaf wrote:I think that the problem is related to the corpses generation: many carnivores are not predators at all, they can just eat the carrions left by other creatures that died by starvation without having to kill them. Carrion eaters are OP right now.
No, in my opinion meat rots to quickly as it is, but if you read quasars latests post on energy then you would know that food is not being absorbed propperly\efficency isn't being calculated Propperly.

I like the carrion eaters..
There is something wierd with food. maybe the improper effeicency calculations is to blame, but after a 100 minutes with three rovers killing the population when over 300-500, I have 1200 individuals, 17 species, and all of them 0.8 carnivores. There is something wrong with that scenario.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:58 am

GUYS, IS THIS RIGHT?!?:
Primum Specium: Biomass of about 2000, total energy of 24.4 Mj. Also, Biomass capacity is increasing as biomass does. Is that in megajoules or microjoules?
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:06 am

Natural_20 wrote:GUYS, IS THIS RIGHT?!?:
Primum Specium: Biomass of about 2000, total energy of 24.4 Mj. Also, Biomass capacity is increasing as biomass does. Is that in megajoules or microjoules?
Should be mega joules because if I remember correctly joules are some proportion of calories. What we need calorie wise are Calories, or kcal. 4.181 calories equals one joule. 4181 joules equals one Calorie or kcal (what is on nutrition labels). 24.4 mj, if m is mega, should corespond to 24,400,000 joules. Which is roughly 5,836 Calories, or like uhhh, Big Mac? I do not what it would compare food wise. I only eat MAcDonald's fries. and their drink because they are a dollar.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:18 am

Prudentia wrote:
Natural_20 wrote:GUYS, IS THIS RIGHT?!?:
Should be mega joules because if I remember correctly joules are some proportion of calories. What we need calorie wise are Calories, or kcal. 4.181 calories equals one joule. 4181 joules equals one Calorie or kcal (what is on nutrition labels). 24.4 mj, if m is mega, should corespond to 24,400,000 joules. Which is roughly 5,836 Calories, or like uhhh, Big Mac? I do not what it would compare food wise. I only eat MAcDonald's fries. and their drink because they are a dollar.
Google says that 24.4 MJ is 1000 times more than that, at a whopping 5,831,739.96 calories. A megajoule is apparently equal to the kinetic energy of a one ton vehicle moving at 160 mph.

Some things that were wrongNevermind, meters cubed != not cubic meters. Getting my math mixed up.
Last edited by Natural_20 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:31 am

3077 cm cubed.