Creature Diet Balance

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Natural_20

Re: Creature Diet Balance

Post by Natural_20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:39 am

Prudentia wrote:3077 cm cubed.
Wait... dammit. That's only 3 liters. Derp.

What about Primum Specium being worth five million calories though? Check it with a converter if you don't believe me.

Also, biomass capacity seems to be infinite, increasing to match however much biomass P. Specium has.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:33 am

I was gonna post this here but it got too big, so: blog.

https://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/20 ... -bug-post/

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:13 am

Quasar wrote:I was gonna post this here but it got too big, so: blog.

https://speciesdevblog.wordpress.com/20 ... -bug-post/
Well damn, that's actually what I was guessing was wrong a few hours ago. It's like what would happen if a galapagos tortoise contained all of the calories from its 200 year lifespan. I felt like I must have misunderstood the system, so I discounted it, but I guess I should have listened to my instincts there.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

White parrot

Post by White parrot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:02 pm

I posted a quick, confused commentary on the blog! :P :?
At this point, we shouldn't be surprised by anything nature does. She's like a meth addict whose drug-fueled rampages unfold in slow motion and span millions of years.
Silly Otter wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Please ignore the cultists.

Sassy Cassie

Post by Sassy Cassie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Allmighty Qu wrote:Creatures gain biomass normally up to a set point (perhaps their childhoodCost (to represent structural biomass) plus a percentage of their mass (fat stores)), after which it leaks out over time (possibly even providing a minor energy boost as it does so). It would have to leak exponentially faster the higher it went, to prevent a creature capable of rapid consumption from outpacing the energy leak indefinately simply by gathering food.
So, why don't you just outright say it? They need to crap. I did always think that was needed... but another thing: Why, when that creature that has built up biomass, gets hungry, doesn't it begin consuming chunks of said biomass? Alot of creatures, when they begin to starve, will often kick into a mode when the body begins consuming fat, and sometimes its own stomach....
"Always trust Greeks bearing gifts. Your friendly neighborhood psycopath might be that gift."
-AΘE22
Tiberius wrote: Friendocracy? Obviously an incredibly alien and classist society. Down with the Charismatic Elite!!! Friends for Everyone!!!

Prudentia

Post by Prudentia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:11 pm

AOE22 wrote:
Allmighty Qu wrote:Creatures gain biomass normally up to a set point (perhaps their childhoodCost (to represent structural biomass) plus a percentage of their mass (fat stores)), after which it leaks out over time (possibly even providing a minor energy boost as it does so). It would have to leak exponentially faster the higher it went, to prevent a creature capable of rapid consumption from outpacing the energy leak indefinately simply by gathering food.
So, why don't you just outright say it? They need to crap. I did always think that was needed... but another thing: Why, when that creature that has built up biomass, gets hungry, doesn't it begin consuming chunks of said biomass? Alot of creatures, when they begin to starve, will often kick into a mode when the body begins consuming fat, and sometimes its own stomach....
They most definitely need to crap. This allows a new major player in Species: The Dungbeetle. One man's shit is another man's lunch.
Black Rockfish, Sebastes melanops, ~12 inches, of the coast of Newport, Oregon.

Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 am

Including pooing would be great for the game, it could act as a direct fertility boost to plants in the area. I don't think we need poop sprites all over the map, just fertility boosts to the plants around an overloaded energy dumping creature.