0.10.0.Ex (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Quasar
Site Admin

0.10.0.Ex (Experimental)

Post by Quasar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 am

For you:

Species 0.10.0 is now officially released.

http://www.speciesgame.com/Download

Remember to download and install Microsoft XNA 3.1 first, it won't work otherwise: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/downloa ... x?id=15163

Expect the unexpected. And by "the unexpected" I mean the bugs. Expect the entirely predictable plethora of expected bugs.

Features!

Initialise Predator and Prey: It's a working ecosystem, with actual predators. Find it under the "Starting Creatures" dropdown on the New World page.

Temperature: click on a creature to see it's internal and external temperature relative to it's ideal temperature. Creature also have a few dedicated behaviours to adjust their temperature when they get cold or hot.

Stamina: Doing stuff exhausts creatures over time. An internal temperature that is too cold or hot reduces their maximum stamina.

Litter Sizes and Pregnancy Length: r select or k select? You decide!

Multiselect: for all your bulk move, bulk feed and bulk murder requirements. Drag a box around the creatures you want to select and then click the tool buttons to use them on the selection.

Context Sensitive UI: The Creature/Species/Ecosystem modes are dead! Long live Context Senstitivity!

Better Water: it's booootiful.

Better Grazing: grazing creatures leave little ant trails behind them! This is super cool and also awesome.

Denser Forests: by default, that is. You can still mess with the settings on the New World page.

Fruit: even the tall tree's are edible to low-to-the-ground creatures now, once the fruit drops. Once the fallen fruit is eaten it takes a while for it to regrow.

Probably some other stuff: I mean, heck, I dunno. Fixed that bug that corrupted your save after a few hours when you made use of the Nursery extensively. Added a really subtle particle system for seeds, changed the fire effects, added a camera icon on the sat map. Just a whole bunch of stuff. :D

Cheers,
Qu

Natural_20

Re: 0.10.0.Ex (Experimental)

Post by Natural_20 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Setting the resolution to 2k in windowed mode cuts off some of the window, including the "accept" button in the options menu. I had to turn down the resolution in profile.txt so that I could hit accept and switch to full screen, then turn the resolution back up.

The game speed buttons still have the issue where, when you're running at high speed, you click on them and they show the "button pressed" animation, yet the game speed doesn't actually change. You have to click and hold so that the button press will actually "take", which is unintuitive and easy to forget.

Fertility was set to 0.77 in the world creation menu, yet the game loaded with fertility of 1.5.

The game crashes when the creature population hits 0.

The automatic food efficiency adjustment feature is changing the food efficiency values on the world creation menu.

Plant life seems to spontaneously go extinct when fertility drops below 0.7, even in areas devoid of creatures. Fertility variation is set to "flat". High elevations seem unaffected, and I haven't tested a water-free map, so water is probably involved.
I think this was just me underestimating the stabilizing effect of trees and how long it can take for the fertility setting to overcome it.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Stankiem

Post by Stankiem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 pm

I friggin love the new UI setup, it makes 100x more sense. Amazing job There!! Some notes as I play here, I will be editing this or making more posts as I go along..

- Pressing "Clean" in the clade diagram crashed the game.
- Lack of multithreading is still really holding the game back, I can't get any more than 900 creatures on my decent laptop without it becoming completely unplayable.
- The default settings on "clean slate" seem a bit too "easy" now. I was able to build up a population of 900 in about 8 minutes time.

Can't wait to load this up at home and give it a better test with a really good computer and play with settings some more. Awesome progress here!

Mrmaskedman

Post by Mrmaskedman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:51 am

Hello! I gotta say that I'm loving the new update, and my game crashed far less than it used to, but I seem to have ran into a strange graphical problem. For some reason, the creatures still show a "fur" texture on their skin, even if they're supposed to be totally hairless, making them resemble some sort of monochromatic pinata. Even stranger, the creatures seem to "flicker" between the pinata texture and a smooth, hairless texture, even then the game is paused. Although the texture appears normal when the frame-rate is very low fr some reason. Here are a couple pictures of what I am talking about
131572436037718957.jpg
131572436037718957.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 9479 times
131572427615222950.jpg
131572427615222950.jpg (140.17 KiB) Viewed 9479 times
131572427487835754.jpg
131572427487835754.jpg (116.04 KiB) Viewed 9479 times
All of the creatures above are supposed to be hairless, as their actual texture suggests this, and they are described to have "smooth skin" in the creatures' attribute window. I have observed this phenomenon on both of the computers i have downloaded the new update on, but has anyone else experienced this issue in their game?

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 am

I have noticed oddly hairy creatures in warm climates, and that I sometimes can't find them later.

Also, lots of crashes.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Mrmaskedman

Post by Mrmaskedman » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:47 am

Apparently the skin glitch I described earlier only occurred when the grass is not drawn, as it was perfectly fine after I turned it back on. Although afterward I found that when the world size is below the default value, the grass actually floats above the ground (which was why I selected the option to not have it drawn in the first place). has anyone else here experienced this glitch?

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 am

Alright, sounds like the game has it's fair share of glitches at this stage. I'll try to attend to everything mentioned here as best I can over the next couple days. I've managed to replicate a few of them, including Mrmaskedman's graphical glitches and Natural_20's extinction crash, and what I can replicate I can (generally) fix.
Natural_20 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:01 am
Also, lots of crashes.
I think I may have accidentally released this version without the usual exception handling, hence why these crashes are being so opaque and useless. Will fix that too.

Stankiem

Post by Stankiem » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Here is a link to an autosave that crashes after playing for about 3-5 minutes longer every time. Hoping this helps find some of your crashes Qu!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5iey7wi84zzi1 ... h.zip?dl=0

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Set map size to 0.8, map preview starts blinking dark blue. Start game, and real map also blinks dark blue. Seems like the terrain isn't rendering right. This is on an AMD Radeon 390.

Creatures drown themselves a lot. As in, two drones providing constant food struggle to keep the population alive due to how often they're drowning themselves. I think I may just avoid water maps for now.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:04 pm

The game crashes when the creature population hits 0.
Found and fixed.
- Pressing "Clean" in the clade diagram crashed the game.
Button removed (it was a failed attempt to improve the clade diagram that I left in the game by accident).
- The default settings on "clean slate" seem a bit too "easy" now. I was able to build up a population of 900 in about 8 minutes time.
The new default vegetation settings are pretty high, mainly to give the initial generation a chance to get established. Automatic Population Control will take care of it fairly quickly, but if you don’t intend to use APC you might need to reduce the food efficiencies.
I seem to have ran into a strange graphical problem. For some reason, the creatures still show a "fur" texture on their skin, even if they're supposed to be totally hairless, making them resemble some sort of monochromatic pinata.
Found and fixed. Thanks for letting me know it was related to turning off “draw grass”, that made it easier to identify (the creatures were using some renderstates leftover from drawing the grass to draw their fur. Without drawing grass those renderstates were never set and the fur came out weird).
afterward I found that when the world size is below the default value, the grass actually floats above the ground (which was why I selected the option to not have it drawn in the first place).
Fixed this one too. It was a typo.

And finally, fixed a bug that prevented the fallback Shader Model 2.0 shaders from being used. I doubt many people are still using hardware that isn’t compatible with SM3.0, but dangit we’ve got those fallback shaders we might as well use them.