0.7.0.Ex (Experimental)

It's work complete, the playtesting forum rides off into the sunset.
Quasar
Site Admin

0.7.0.Ex (Experimental)

Post by Quasar » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:23 am

Welcome to the playtesting forum.

0.7.0 is ready for playtesting! You can think of this forum as a combination of pragmatism ("I can get lots of bugs fixed before the public release!") and gratitude ("thanks for being a part of the forums!"). Only registered forum users can see this page.

A few quick notes before we start, though:

• if you're just playing for fun and don't like having your fun interrupted by random crashes and bugs, don't download this version. There will be bugs, probably lots of them. They will not be nice. They will be annoying. If that sounds like it will ruin the game for you, please wait for the public release: at least we should have fixed some of them by then.

• this forum exists because 0.7.0 is ready ahead of schedule, which may not happen every update. Also, FYI: it is temporary. It will be hidden when the public release comes out.

• Bug reports for the experimental version go in this forum, not in the bug report forum. That will allow us to keep the bugs in the experimental and released versions separate.

So, with all that said, allow me to present:

Species 0.7.0.Ex

Installation instructions are the same as always:

- Install XNA 3.1.
- Unzip to a location that isn't Program Files, My Documents or your Desktop.
- Run the exe.
- Enjoy!

wildmyron

Re: 0.7.0.Ex (Experimental)

Post by wildmyron » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Downloaded and trying out now. Thanks for doing this.

Game is running on my Win7 x64 box. I'll let you know how it goes.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Running it right now, Windows 7 64 bit. No issues so far, but a lot of creatures are evolving big heads, long legs at the very front of their torsos, and stumpy hind legs that don't reach the ground. They seem to use the hind legs as counterweights to accommodate bigger heads. So far, tails seem to be inferior to the counterweight legs.

I'm currently watching a 0.3 omnivore evolve that has six legs, only walks on two, has a tail, and uses nearly its entire body mass as a counterweight to its comically oversized head.

*BUG(S) FOUND*: I clicked on a creature on the map and the game crashed. I had just placed climate control devices set to -100 to fix the stubborn trees growing on the edge of the crater. Upon loading the autosave, I discovered that my map-splitting fences had disappeared (the climate control devices are still there). Two ecosystems separated for millions of years promptly collided. Now I've gone from 38 species to 2 :lol:.
Last edited by Natural_20 on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:03 pm

Whoops... it may be possible that having a direct relationship between feeding rate and head size was a poorly thought out idea...

Or possibly this is just genetic drift. Now that I think about it, I do remember noting that the head size mutation rate was quite high, relatively speaking. They may have accidentally evolved large heads and had more luck countering the extra weight than eliminating it.

It's pretty cool that the physics and natural selection systems are merging well enough to cause them to evolve counterweights, though. That right there is why I make this game.

Natural_20

Post by Natural_20 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Quasar wrote:Whoops... it may be possible that having a direct relationship between feeding rate and head size was a poorly thought out idea...

Or possibly this is just genetic drift. Now that I think about it, I do remember noting that the head size mutation rate was quite high, relatively speaking. They may have accidentally evolved large heads and had more luck countering the extra weight than eliminating it.

It's pretty cool that the physics and natural selection systems are merging well enough to cause them to evolve counterweights, though. That right there is why I make this game.
The creatures do seem to be evolving according to physics, but they arrive at some pretty bizarre results. I suspect that your guess about head size mutation rate is right, as the heads have in this version and the last consistently developed to either very large or very small sizes.

Interesting... now I'm seeing tails that point straight down attached to creatures that hold their bodies level with two Limb 1's and a head that doesn't look heavy enough to be a counterweight. I think they might actually be using the tail as a third leg, allowing them to function as tripeds. Also, they have sort of normal, sensible head sizes.

Also, note the crash/fence bugs I edited in. My game crashed, my fences vanished, chaos ensued.
Quasar wrote:Dammit, we forgot to sell the psycho drugs and now the chickens are ODing.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm

I tried to achieve the same result as natural and at the 15 minute mark it was looking fine.
130560697111632899.jpg
130560697111632899.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
around the 30 minute mark I got what I imagine is more or less the same.
130560710196841330.jpg
130560710196841330.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

AngerDomeAble

Post by AngerDomeAble » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:35 am

I started a new game and got some new creatures.
130560779191127578.jpg
130560779191127578.jpg (142.48 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
130560779583770036.jpg
130560779583770036.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
Unrelated to this post I got some random crashes with no error message but I assume its because I had to many creatures so I would not worry about it.
20 is against common sense.
Don't believe his lies.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:33 am

Arright, things to adjust/fix for a new release tonight...

• Head-size mutation rate is too high.
• Exceptions are not returning any error text.
• Save/Load routine fails on Fences
• Creature Editor does not allow you to add/manipulate facial features.

(Edit) Species 0.7.0.Ex Patch 1 fixes the above problems and can be found here (overwrite the executable and pdb file with the ones in the zip file): http://www.speciesgame.com/Downloads/Sp ... ch%201.zip

MrKyurem

Post by MrKyurem » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:59 pm

It's looking good so far, although I did get this error:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException

This parameter must be a valid index within the array.
Parameter name: elementCount

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.Texture.ValidateCopyParameters[T](T[] data, Int32 dataIndex, Int32 elementCount)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.VertexBuffer.CopyData[T](Int32 offsetInBytes, T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, Int32 vertexStride, UInt32 options, Boolean isSetting)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.DynamicVertexBuffer.SetData[T](Int32 offsetInBytes, T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, Int32 vertexStride, SetDataOptions options)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.DynamicVertexBuffer.SetData[T](T[] data, Int32 startIndex, Int32 elementCount, SetDataOptions options)
at SpeciesALRE.Instancing.InstancedModelPart.DrawHardwareInstancing(InstancedVertex[] instanceTransforms, Int32 numberToDraw) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Instancing\InstancedModelPart.cs:line 504
at SpeciesALRE.Instancing.InstancedModelPart.Draw(InstancingTechnique instancingTechnique, InstancedVertex[] instanceTransforms, Int32 numberToDraw, Matrix view, Matrix projection, Single gameTime) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Instancing\InstancedModelPart.cs:line 404
at SpeciesALRE.Instancing.InstancedModel.DrawInstances(InstancedVertex[] instanceTransforms, Int32 numberToDraw, Matrix view, Matrix projection, Single gameTime) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Instancing\InstancedModel.cs:line 165
at SpeciesALRE.World.World.DrawVegetation(GraphicsDevice GraphicsDevice) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\World\World.cs:line 840
at SpeciesALRE.World.World.Draw(GraphicsDevice GraphicsDevice) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\World\World.cs:line 604
at SpeciesALRE.Game1.DrawGame(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Game1.cs:line 1208
at SpeciesALRE.Game1.Draw(GameTime gameTime) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Game1.cs:line 1018
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run()
at SpeciesALRE.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\Quasar\Documents\Qu's Projects\Species\Source\Species\Program.cs:line 18

Species, Version=0.7.0.234, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Skylimit

Post by Skylimit » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:00 pm

Just fyi that I am now running the game
I haven't encountered any bugs or crashes so far - kept it running for quite a while
Have seen both herbivores and carnivore 1, and creatures develop eyesight
I will restart cause of too many creatures, balancing around 3700, which do impact performance - I've seen very smooth performance at 800

Will try the new features now (like fences)

edit : no crashes, except this one time, when I hover over terrain, and try to pass a fence, then the game crashes
Last edited by Skylimit on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.