0.6.1 Hotfix 3

Announcements and infodumps from the Species dev team.
deMangler

Re: 0.6.1 Hotfix 3

Post by deMangler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 am

Let me know if it works from there: if it does I can include it in the next hotfix.

Many thanks! :D
Qu

PS: I've also tried to address the ArgumentOutOfRangeException crashes: I may or may not have fixed them, but the patched exe should return better debug information if they do occur.
ok.
Will continue to send email bug reports unless the forum is preferred. <edit> Heh - just sent one about trees on a size two world... :) </edit>
Appears to work though. Just soak testing a size 1.5 world now...

Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Quasar wrote:
HariboTer wrote:Also, I think I should mention that the new versions shader autodetect didn't work either (redownloaded it completely and had to use the "old" set-to-2.0-shaders-and-restart-a-few-times-until-the-creatures-are-no-longer-invisible-method). Although I am still seriously convinced that my PC should be able to deal with 3.0 Shaders.
Remilia Scarlet wrote:Same here. Can't see the map on the New World screen and can't see the creatures ingame.
I'm currently trying to debug this autodetect problem. Can you guys try something out for me?

- Download and install this temporary patch (overwrite the existing executable).

- Next, delete the Profile.txt file. (if you don't it will just use your old settings)

- Finally, run the game and go straight to the new world screen (don't go into options first).

Let me know if it works from there: if it does I can include it in the next hotfix.

Many thanks! :D
Qu

PS: I've also tried to address the ArgumentOutOfRangeException crashes: I may or may not have fixed them, but the patched exe should return better debug information if they do occur.
Still not working. The New world screen has changed very little. The only difference is there is a grid under where the creature should be instead of nothing. The creature and map still doesn't show up in the New world screen. And creatures still don't show up ingame.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks for trying it. At least I’ve now got an idea what’s going on: your computer is reporting that it supports Shader Model 3, but then simply not drawing any Shaders that use SM 3.

Actually, that makes me wonder... could it be your graphics drivers are out of date? That might also explain why Habito’s computer is having the same problems despite what him expecting it to support SM3. To update your drivers, go to www.nvidia.com (or ATI’s website if you have an ATI card) and download/update to the latest drivers for your graphics card, then delete profile.txt and try again.

If that doesn’t work, then let me know. I have a last-resort plan: on startup, draw a SM3.0 texture, then use GetData() to pull it into RAM and do a few pixel tests to see if it worked.

In the mean time, just use the workaround (change to Shader Model 2.0 in the Options screen, then quit and restart the game).

Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:26 am

Quasar wrote:Thanks for trying it. At least I’ve now got an idea what’s going on: your computer is reporting that it supports Shader Model 3, but then simply not drawing any Shaders that use SM 3.

Actually, that makes me wonder... could it be your graphics drivers are out of date? That might also explain why Habito’s computer is having the same problems despite what him expecting it to support SM3. To update your drivers, go to http://www.nvidia.com (or ATI’s website if you have an ATI card) and download/update to the latest drivers for your graphics card, then delete profile.txt and try again.

If that doesn’t work, then let me know. I have a last-resort plan: on startup, draw a SM3.0 texture, then use GetData() to pull it into RAM and do a few pixel tests to see if it worked.

In the mean time, just use the workaround (change to Shader Model 2.0 in the Options screen, then quit and restart the game).
Yeah, I updated my drivers, (RADEON). Still doesn't work. In fact, I checked my options to see that I was using shaders 2. Everything I reported in my previous posts are what I see on it. When switching to shader 3, it gets worse. Everything is the same except that in game, the map is black, excluding trees.

Edit: Could it be something else. I unzip it to my desktop, so is there a problem with doing that? Should I unzip it elsewhere?

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:33 am

I've got a new temporary patch for you guys to try out.
Species 0.6.1 (temp patch 2).zip
(745.56 KiB) Downloaded 2406 times
Same thing as before: extract, overwrite executable, delete profile.txt and run the game.

Fingers crossed it will work this time.

Remilia Scarlet

Post by Remilia Scarlet » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Quasar wrote:I've got a new temporary patch for you guys to try out.
Species 0.6.1 (temp patch 2).zip
Same thing as before: extract, overwrite executable, delete profile.txt and run the game.

Fingers crossed it will work this time.
Slight improvement. I can now have the map show ingame on both shader 2 and 3.

Problems: Creatures still don't show in game and on new world screen. Map still doesn't show on new world screen.

I'll try downloading the entire game again, along with the patch and see how it fairs. I'll edit in my findings.

Edit: Re downloaded everything. Figured out what was wrong. Was extracting to the wrong place. Silly me.

New problem. It says it can't find ShaderModel3tester.xmb. Is this missing from the files?

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:47 am

Gah! I can't believe I forgot about ShaderModel3tester. Kind of an important file there :P.

My bad: I'll attach it to this post. Extract it directly into the "Content" folder for best results.
Attachments
ShaderModel3Tester.zip
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 2652 times

Daggetd

Post by Daggetd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 pm

I followed your instructions and creatures are still not visible. After applying the patch it made the terrain black

Potentially useful/useless information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F8, 26/04/2012
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Name AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6818&SUBSYS_25541458&REV_00\4&B77C4C1&0&0008
Adapter Type AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6818), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible
Adapter Description AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes
Installed Drivers aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version 9.12.0.0
INF File oem23.inf (ati2mtag_R575B section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1680 x 1050 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Hooray, walls of text. Hope that helps.

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a pattern:
Daggetd wrote:Name AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Remilia Scarlet wrote:Yeah, I updated my drivers, (RADEON). Still doesn't work.
HariboTer wrote:Although I am still seriously convinced that my PC should be able to deal with 3.0 Shaders.
It's worse than I thought. SM3.0 incompatibility I can deal with, but I have no idea how to address an issue endemic to a specific manufacturers cards, apart from trial-and-error (which I can't do efficiently, because I don't have first-hand access to a computer with the problem)

First-glance googling turned up this thread with what looks like the same problem with a different game. Unfortuantely, they never solved their problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/12047 ... el-problem

I'll keep researching...

(Edit) another example of (possibly) the same problem: http://www.punchwood.com/index.php?/top ... -model-30/

Unfortunately, he had to reset his computer to factory settings to fix it...

Quasar
Site Admin

Post by Quasar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 am

Further support for the pattern from the bug fix thread. At this point I'm going to say it's confirmed, we seem to have a serious problem on AMD graphics cards.
n00b001 wrote:GPU: ATI/AMD 7970
elisk wrote:I tried the latest patch and it still hasn't been fixed for me. ...

Edit: I also have an AMD processor.